What type of shot gun and loads do you use??

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, Tim D, HeritageHunter, MIKE J., JoeP

What type of shot gun and loads do you use??

Postby Tim D » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:54 pm

I shoot a Benelli with a Wad Wizard choke ,and Kent Fast steel #4 for ducks and #2 for geese all day everyday!!

Tim :getdown:
Tim D
State Moderator

Postby MIKE J. » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:32 pm

3'' 870 Express with a modified choke, Kent Fast-Steel loads work for me and I also use 71/2 steel for the cripple shots when needed.

I have often considered upgrading my shotgun, but I think of all the abuse I put them through afield and in the marsh! you cant beat the 870 for Durability and reliabilty.

My 870 has been to the bottom of Sapowet Marsh in RI, :oops: and dragged through the Virginia woods for 60 yards by a 4 pointer!!! :eek: (No Joke) I had just finished securing my climber to the tree and was getting ready to lift my gun and backpack when the deer appeared under my tree, well he walked into the parachute cord I was using and it became entagled in his antler with the gun & backpack snug under his front quarter and my end was tied to the treestand, after hanging on for dear life for about 30 seconds I cut the cord and off goes the deer with my equipment. I found it 60 yards later hung up in a barbed wire fence.
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckdoc » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:08 pm

Benelli SBE II, with Remington Sportsman Hi-Speed Steel in #2 for sea ducks/divers and BB for geese.
duckdoc
hunter

Both of you

Postby Tim D » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:20 pm

You guys we'll have to hook up , Ducdock i grew up down the cape i have some nice spot , or come up either of you Mike J open invite to POUND some Geese and ducks !!

Tim
Tim D
State Moderator

Postby MIKE J. » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:16 pm

Tim, Thanks for the invite :thumbsup: , I'm ready to POUND some birds ! I should be settled in and unpacked by the 10th of Oct. Of course I am packing all of the waterfowl equipment last so it will be the first thing off the truck!!! Boats are ready to go as well.

Thanks Mike
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby flytackle » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:38 am

I shoot a Lanber O/U 12 ga. with fixed mod and full chokes, single selective trigger. I've been very happy with it's performance, but the bluing is kinda weak and I constantly fight rust... I would love to have a Ruger All Weather Red Label.. maybe someday! Good hunting, Alec
flytackle
Membership permanently suspended

Lanber

Postby seaneen » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:41 pm

HEY Flytackle

The first gun I owned was a Lanbernsame gun you described.
I loved that gun, did a lot of hunting with it.
you dont see too many of them around.

SEANEEN
seaneen
hunter

Postby duckdoc » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:46 pm

Tim- thanks for the invite, I'll definitely have to take you up on it some time after the real season starts. Haven't spotted many geese around here (at least none that I could shoot at LEGALLY...). Have spotted a few ducks in a conservation area in Harwich I have hunted in the past. Still a bit early for sea ducks down here with the unseasonably warm weather...I must be one of the few folks in the area hoping for cooler/cloudier weather in the not too distant future :yes: In the meantime, I'll keep busting the clay birds on the weekends so I'll miss fewer of the real ones next month....
Jim Shepherd, M.D.
duckdoc
hunter

Postby captainkevan » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:52 am

I shoot a remington 11-87. Remoington high speed #4 steel for ducks and BBB for geese.
~Kevan~
TEAM WASABi !!!!!!
captainkevan
Forum & State Moderator

Postby woodduck14 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:27 pm

i just bought a new remington 870 left handed. cant wait to shoot it this weekend. and the week after the season starts. cant wait!
i got the store owner to throw in a box of shells too. he gave me a box of winchester steel shot.
woodduck14
hunter

Postby jack » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:46 am

Hey hows it going ? I tried all shot out there and found heavy shot best , a little cheeper than the new HD shot from remington , Anyway I feel handycaped without it #6 take down geese no problem although when I go for geese I use #4 3inch heavy shot , but you know you use what you got some times and found those 6es work , I like my beretta urica 12g nice and smooth and works well for a paddle at times tough gun javascript:emoticon(':toofunny:') Talk soon Jack
jack
Newb

Postby badabing1997 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:33 pm

i use a SBE....i tried the new 1187 super mag and it was AWFUL
it never worked right from day one......
i use 3 and a halfs....usually 2 s....switch to bbs later when they have more plumage
badabing1997
hunter

Postby Mike B » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:57 pm

I use a Winchester SX2 w/ light Mod choke and 3 1/2 Drylok #2s. 1st year duck hunting and Love it!! Alot to learn!!
Mike B
Newb

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting