What Would You Do?

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, Tim D, HeritageHunter, MIKE J., JoeP

What Would You Do?

Postby JTR » Sat May 25, 2013 5:23 am

I've got a hypothetical situation, which I'm sure has happened to some of us before. What would you do if this happened to you?

You are out hunting alone. Two black ducks cup up into your spread. As you pick out the bird you want and let a shot fly, the birds' paths cross and you drop them both. So, now you have twice your limit of blacks and you've only taken one shot.
Ruger's Retrieves: I lost count
JTR
hunter

Re: What Would You Do?

Postby kal9wt » Sat May 25, 2013 8:17 am

Phone a friend?
cause you can't starve us out, and you can't make us run
cause we're them old boys raised on shotgun
kal9wt
hunter

Postby Joser06 » Sat May 25, 2013 4:19 pm

Oh that never happens.... :rolleyes: Well the legal thing and the ethical thing are two different story's. Ethically wasting the bird is the wrong thing to do. Legally the law is already been broken and will be broken again if you walk out of the marsh, swamp etc. I would call a friend if local or leave it. I wouldn't want to be caught with two of them up this way, the federal warden would really do some damage to the wallet.
Joser06
hunter

Postby reddogs » Sat May 25, 2013 7:34 pm

Not take the shot. If it's going to be close, I just wait for another black duck to stool. Or let them land and shoot one on the flush. Don't put yourself in that situation.
reddogs
hunter

Postby duckstopper333 » Sat May 25, 2013 9:41 pm

It's a predicament you'd rather avoid.

A couple years ago we took a waterfowl I.D. course at the Federal Office in Amherst. One of the Federal Wardens presented this same scenario to our group and asked what we would do. The "real" answer was to bring both birds back to the ramp and take your medicine if you were checked by a warden. When we asked what the penalty was he did say if he saw someone shoot an extra one and throw it away or stomp it into the mud they would be fined $250 for the extra one and another $250 for wanton waste of the one he saw stomped into the mud. An expensive black duck.
duckstopper333
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Sat May 25, 2013 10:20 pm

At all costs (even possibly not killing either bird) I would attempt to avoid that predicament all together! If in fact I did have a pause of poor judgment, I'd retrieve both birds, continue hunting till finished then head home. If I was unlucky enough to get checked I'd explain the situation to the warden and take my licks as he sees fit. In fact I may even contact the warden at the time the incident occurs, as I know a few of them personally. Id explain the situation and generally most would understand, after all how many people actually contact the warden after they've violated the law. Surely such an odd circumstance and the forthrightness of calling at the time of the incident would all but guarantee a considerable amount of leniency. This is all pure speculation and it's likely none of us will ever have to make this decision but I'd like to think most would do the right thing. Not by necessarily turning yourself in, but to waste a bird in the conscience of a true and moral sportsman is simply out of the question and I hope most would agree.
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Mon May 27, 2013 7:48 am

i agree the best thing is to not take the shot and not put yourself in this situation in the first place...but let's just say it does happen. phoning a friend would be my first choice, too. however, as some of you know, i am the only person on the planet without a cell phone; so this isnt a realistic option for me. i would never stomp it into the mud...in my opinion wanton waste is an even more heinous offense than the original eff up. i would pack up right away and call it a day. if i get checked i fess up. if not, i probably make a $50 donation to a reputable org, a self imposed fine, and learn from the mistake.
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Mon May 27, 2013 8:52 am

I vote clean, cook, and eat extra duck before you head out. :thumbsup:

In all seriousness, I would just take them both out and hope not to get checked. I know most of the GWs in my area so I would be tempted to call and tell them what happened but I think they would rather not know about it in the first place. They probably would just tell me to drive home quickly.
Some people just need a high-five.
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting