new to mass. and could really use some help

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, JoeP, Tim D, MIKE J., HeritageHunter

new to mass. and could really use some help

Postby azrednek » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:01 pm

hello all,

so... after much confusion and a ton of work, i finally have gotten my mass hunting license. i am an arizona boy who grew up hunting, and decided to go to school in boston, not knowing how difficult it would be to hunt out here. with that said, i will finally be bringing out my gun, decoys, waders, calls, etc. out to MA from AZ in the fall and would love nothing more than to do some duck hunting around boston. i am not asking any of you to give up your honey holes, but i could seriously use some help, guidance, a hunting buddy, a spot you dont mind giving up, or all of the above. i would appreciate whatever you can help me with. i was thinking about having a guide take me out to show me a spot but i figured that would be on private land and WAY out of my college kid price range. i love hunting puddle ducks more than anything so would love some info on that, but would be willing to try sea duck hunting as well within an hour or so of boston. thanks guys for all your help, and text me if you dont want to give up your info over the web or on the forum. thx!

jimmy,
602-327-2330
azrednek
Newb

Re: new to mass. and could really use some help

Postby spreademandshootem » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:03 am

Welcome! check out the WMA's, their locations, look at them from satellite to see where may be a hot spot and explore.

Good luck
spreademandshootem
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:07 pm

:welcome: To Massachusetts and the forum. Stick around, you may get some help, but scouting is your best friend whether by the web or on the ground. Where are you going to school?
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby azrednek » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:28 pm

thanks guys, i go to boston college... anyone ever hunted the WMAs around boston? are they good spots or does mass game and fish give you crappy hunting areas? thanks again!
azrednek
Newb

Postby JTR » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:37 am

Do you have access to a car/truck?

My advice would be to look just north or south of the city. Plenty of open land and salt marshes along the coast. Mass may not be the most hunter friendly state, but we are afforded the right to hunt ducks below the high tide mark on any tidelands, as long as you are 500' from an occupied dwelling and 150' away from a paved road.

Just use your head and don't be a ****. If hunting a spot looks like a bad idea (even if it's legal), its probably a better idea to look elsewhere, for the sake of all of us. Of course, if you like being a ****, we all know a few guys that will give you a rub and tug if you hang out with them.
Ruger's Retrieves: I lost count
JTR
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:09 pm

JTR wrote:
Just use your head and don't be a ****. If hunting a spot looks like a bad idea (even if it's legal), its probably a better idea to look elsewhere, for the sake of all of us. Of course, if you like being a ****, we all know a few guys that will give you a rub and tug if you hang out with them.

:lol: :biggrin: :smile: :lol3:
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby Joser06 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:41 pm

Baymen Moe wrote:
JTR wrote:

:lol: :biggrin: :smile: :lol3:

Hahaha I friggin love you guys, always good for a laugh.

Like previously stated, I would start at the WMA's and work from there. It is hard finding land elsewhere as some towns have no shooting ordinances. Use this as a guidline, but make sure you follow up on the towns if you decide to hunt there. http://macouncil.tripod.com/id28.htm
Joser06
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:44 pm

welcome to the mass forum :welcome: ive definitely shot ducks at wma's so they are not a bad starting point. plus with those spots, you know you won't get your photo in the Patriot Ledger every season :hi: . i would suggest scouting out other spots, checking town websites for hunting regs, maybe try joining a local delta or du chapter.

again, welcome to the state, the forum, etc. :beer:
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby SMSovis » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:27 am

Welcome to the forum. :beer:

Def. be smart about where you hunt and don't get caught up judging your day by the number of shots fired or birds on the strap like some other groups have. :hi:

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you need a little direction.
"Crime doesn't pay, and weasels finish last."
SMSovis
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting