ive got the itch

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, Tim D, HeritageHunter, MIKE J., JoeP

ive got the itch

Postby woodduck14 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:39 pm

less than a month and it finally starts. i got out the dekes, painted the boat, bought some more ammo, cant wait guys. im sure you cant either
i hunt in berkshire county any others?
woodduck14
hunter

Looking for a spot

Postby RyanBud11 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:43 am

I am in the Worcester area and am looking for a spot to do some waterfowl hunting. I have about a half dozen goose dekes, a dozen duck dekes and some feeders, and a lab that is dying to get out there. I am originally from CT so I don't have any spots here in Mass. Any ideas?
Ryan L. Camire
Worcester, MA 01610
RyanBud11
Newb

Postby duckdoc » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:38 pm

Ryan- check out the list of public WMA's on the MassWildlife website

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/

Check under "Hunting and Fishing", then "Wildlife Lands", then "Wildlife Management Area Maps". Click on the Central District, and check out the Quabog River WMA- heard alot of good things about it, although I must admit have yet to hunt it myself. Closer to home would be the massive Barre Falls WMA.
Keep swinging! :thumbsup:
Duckdoc
duckdoc
hunter

barre falls....too late for that one!!

Postby briggsy » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:56 pm

being from Barre, I would say that the late start of the season really ruined the opening week for any marshes located in/near barre falls. once the pheasants are stocked, there is more orange hats than there are chipmunks!! although there is a ton of land...you are better off hitting some of the rivers for woodies/mallards....unless you scout some of the WMA's..there are quite a few new ones on the web site. I will be up there on the 15th...getting ready with my bro....then I have the hole week of leave to shoot em up.

I was born in Worcester, but moved out to the sticks of Barre/hardwick when I was a kid. I used to know all of the back roads, now I just get lost. I have been gone for way toooooo long! once I move back up there permanently in 3.5 years....I will have all the spots pinned down again!
briggsy from Central MASS, stationed in FL, ADAF
briggsy
hunter

hunting spots

Postby RyanBud11 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:57 am

Yeah, that is exactly what I was going to do. Just take my dog to some of those closer WMA's and check out what they have for bodies of water. I am definitely not going to want to compete with pheasant hunters when I'm trying to take down some ducks or geese though, I'll never get them to land.
Ryan L. Camire
Worcester, MA 01610
RyanBud11
Newb

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting