sailfish caught in the canal

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, JoeP, Tim D, MIKE J., HeritageHunter

sailfish caught in the canal

Postby Professor_Leakey » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:17 am

just came across this story. very cool. seems like the past few seasons there have been more and more reports of unusual catches.

http://www.onthewater.com/report-sailfish-caught-in-cape-cod-canal/
"I can't believe how strange it is, to be anything at all"
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Re: sailfish caught in the canal

Postby JTR » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:44 am

Cape Cod Tackle has a video of the whole thing. Apparently, they thought they had a shark at first. I'm sure that the last thing they expected was a sailfish. I honestly didn't believe it until I saw the video. I know that lots of guys have been hitting the canyons recently, so I thought that one of those fish ended up in the hands of a sneaky canal fisherman.

Speaking of fish... Any sign of smelts yet Leakey? I hit the Nut last night in search of squid. Took 3 home. There were tons around, but they just didnt want to hit my jig.
Ruger's Retrieves: I lost count
JTR
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:08 pm

JTR it is still a little early for smelts. soon, though. i will let you know. i will actually be giving it a try in a little over a week...if not for the smelt, to catch some spearing for fluke baits. catching lots of blue crab lately.

the video of the sailfish catch is on that link i posted, along with some photos. hopefully they will get it mounted.

oh, and let me know if you go squidding again; ive been wanting to try that. you using them as bait or for the fried cal-a-mar?
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:47 pm

I was skeptic at first then saw the video. It is awesome. Never know what is swimming thru the canal.
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby JTR » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:55 pm

Leakey, I'm thinking about giving it a shot before work in the next few weeks. I start work at 11, so maybe 8:30ish-10:30ish at night. I'll let ya know if I get out. There were tons around last night. Problem was that they just wouldn't touch my jig. They were chasing it around, but just wouldn't hit it. I'm thinking that my jig was just too big. Bight seemed to pick up on the outgoing. Heard that the gut was hot last night too.

Are you flukin from shore? I've been spear fishing all over the place and I have yet to see a fluke. I did shoot a 10lb tog the other day though. It's going to make a nice ceviche tomorrow. :beer:

I'm eating the squid too. I'm hoping to get a bunch at some point. I've got some recipes that I really want to try. Squid ink pasta or risotto is at the top of the list. Squid sashimi is up there too.
JTR
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:24 pm

oh man, im getting hungry for squid now. i actually have a jig for them but have never tried it. glows in the dark if you hit it with a light. im going down to point judith in rhode island with a buddy for fluke...frances fleet.

i remember last year there were trigger fish caught and i wanna say a red fish. i know i caught a few blue runners in scituate. anybody heard of any other odd catches this year? now is the time of year for it.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby JTR » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:32 pm

35lb redfish caught on a cape beach last year. Triggers are all over the place south of the cape. I'm dying to shoot some of them with the spear.
JTR
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:57 pm

Leakey, Helen H in Hyannis has been on a good fluke bite last week.
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Professor_Leakey » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:06 am

ive had some good winter cod fishing trips on the helen h....im not going for another week and a half so i will consider them, maybe check reports closer to when im going. dying for some fresh fluke fillets with crabmeat stuffing. :drool: :drool: :beer:
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby ChrisR » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:05 pm

Seen this one today. Albies off of Plum Island. First I have heard of any that side of the Cape.

http://www.surflandbt.com/albies-out-front/
ChrisR
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting