Help finding an old duck hunting book

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, JoeP, Tim D, HeritageHunter, MIKE J.

Help finding an old duck hunting book

Postby Parker » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:10 am

Hi,

I am trying to find a book I read several years ago. It was published in the 1950's (possibly earlier) and centered around New England duck hunting. I recall there was a unique and distinctive picture plate in the book with drawings of various ducks and in the center of the plate was a black duck with a king's crown, symbolizing how the author viewed black ducks. I also remember the author writing about his springer spaniel which was a fine retriever.

If anyone recognizes that book, please post the author and or title. I'd like to be able to find it again. Thanks
Parker
hunter

Postby JoeP » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:59 pm

Parker, This sounds like something I would like to read as well. Just a thought, have you posted this on a few of the other state forums? There
are a few guys on the Maine forum that may be able to help you out.
Good luck with this and let me know if you find it. I have been looking
for a book like that and they are hard to come by.

Joe P
JoeP
State Moderator

Postby Parker » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:31 am

Joe,

Thanks for the reply. I'll try your idea of posting to other state forums.
Parker
hunter

Postby Parker » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:44 am

Joe,

I found that book. The title is ":Complete Duck Shooter's Handbook" by Robert Scharf, published in 1957. I found a copy at a website called Abebooks for less than $10.

Its a good book. Lot's of "how to do it" not "what to buy" like in most current books on duck hunting. The book instructs the average duck hunter of the 1950's how to get the most out of hunting near where he lives. No mention of flying to Argentina or Mexico, or buying a farm and paying a bagillion dollars to flood the fields, release mallards and shoot them. The numerous photos in the book cover the full range of available camo patterns - from tan to olive drab. "Made in China" was not an option when the book was published and Herter's, LL Bean and Orvis were the mail order catalogs of choice. In reading through the book, I can't help but feel that as a group we duck hunters in the early part of the 21st century not only see a lot fewer birds on the marshes and bays as compared to our fathers and grand fathers, we also are a lot more wrapped up in advertising hype and about getting the latest gizmo to help us maximize our expectation of killing fowl, but maybe we are enjoying the whole experience a lot less than waterfowlers did 50 years ago. Bag limits were lower 50 years ago than they are now, so I guess biologists back then were more concerned about conserving birds than selling licenses
Parker
hunter

Postby JoeP » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:17 pm

Thanks Parker, I will look into that book. I am glad you found it, and I
completely agree with your opinion of todays hunting and years gone by.
I am 29 years old and I love waterfowling but when I listen to the old timers tell there stories it definately has a different feeling to it. I wish I
could turn the clock back to "there were so many ducks the sky were black ".

JoeP
JoeP
State Moderator

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting