Dog training

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, Tim D, HeritageHunter, MIKE J., JoeP

Re: Dog training

Postby spider316 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:56 pm

Hey Daisey, Congrats to you for putting in so much time and effort when training Zoe. I hope Kevin thanks you for letting him use you retriever ! Hope all is well with you both. :beer:
Most experienced novice Duckhunter the good Lord ever created !
spider316
hunter

Postby McManusClan5 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:04 pm

Awesome! :thumbsup:

That's it, you've pushed me over the edge and I'm going to finish my two labs. :smile:

Congrats and here's to looking forward to years of enjoyment with your friend in the field.

Matt
McManusClan5
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:14 pm

McManus, let me know if you want to get out for some dog training sessions sometime. How old are your dogs and what training have you done so far (feel free to just PM if you want).

Bartman, I have some duck wings for you if you want them for training. Let's get out some Sunday or weekday afternoon and get your dog insane for birds. Then we can work in some shots from a distance. Im not a dog trainer but I am willing to work with you on this problem, following the advice from people i know as well as other DHCers that know a whole lot more than i do.
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby kjm1022 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:19 am

spider316 wrote:Hey Daisey, Congrats to you for putting in so much time and effort when training Zoe. I hope Kevin thanks you for letting him use you retriever ! Hope all is well with you both. :beer:

^^^^^^^^ :lol:
kjm1022
hunter

Postby McManusClan5 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:07 pm

Professor_Leakey wrote:McManus, let me know if you want to get out for some dog training sessions sometime. How old are your dogs and what training have you done so far (feel free to just PM if you want).

Hey, thanks man! :thumbsup:

Two labs. Chocolate is 6.5 years old, and the yellow is 2.5. Both male. Chocolate has drive but is a bit stubborn. Yellow is birdie and wants to please, but his drive doesn't last so long (the chocolate will go until he drops, the yellow prefers to go hard and then take a break). :lol3:

I took both through advanced obedience myself and then had a trainer up in NH take them for a month last winter (we were away for a good part of it, so it worked out well) to introduce them to real retrieving. Stopped short of force fetch and they didn't get much time with actual shooting (for the sound), but both took to it well. I just couldn't fit in consistent reinforcement after that, and our sessions pretty rapidly dwindled and then stopped.

Now I'm in a weird spot, where they're not fully trained up, I don't have the time to do it right (and I'm most scared of doing it WRONG and messing them up - seems better to pause the training than screw it up... but I'd like anyone's thoughts there). Would love to take them in the field, but here, too, I don't want to put them into a situation where they'll fail and I mess 'em up.

Wish I had the time to really work with them both, but as much as I'd love to, there are a few things at the front of the line that take pretty much all my time (kids, work, wife, getting some hunting in - and I know I could do MORE of the last if I'd put the time in with the dogs...). Yet I am constantly thinking how much I'd like to spend a morning in the field with them!

Anyway, not much point to the above, just sayin'. :smile: Part of me is wondering if I **could** get them out in the field and just accept sub-par performance (happy enough with that, as my wife tells me you eventually get used to it) and not screw them up for good. Any thoughts?

OK, back to work for me now. :wink:

Matt
McManusClan5
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:14 pm

my dog isnt perfect by any stretch, but she doesnt bark at birds, doesnt try to fetch up the decoys, and she is crazy about fetching dead ducks. that is good enough for me. she may not be a star at the field trials, but if i shoot a duck she will go get it and bring it to my hand.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby grr0202 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:49 pm

Kjm
That is a great ending. Glad to see your patience paid off. Having your dog team up with you to bring home the game rocks. Dog work in the field is as much fun as the hunt.
grr0202
Newb

Postby bartman » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:57 pm

soooo......as promised. I would not respond or comment to this thread until I had progress and a final report on my dog's hunting/gun tolerating ability. I am happy to report that my "gunshy" "companion" dog put up birds! at the end of the hunt, we had more than ten birds in our bag. more important was the fact that we all had a blast. They were not ducks, but we did a hunt up at addieville.

Molly was a rockstar and she made me proud. we got off to a slow start, but we ended up strong. not only did she find the birds, but she flushed, retrieved, and at one point she even pointed. awesome day...just to remind everyone I started this thread because I was worried about her being gun shy and was told she would be no more than a companion.

well I can tell you that with some work and support your companion can become a hunting buddy.

I want to thank the folks and proffs on this forum who told me not to give up and keep working...I now have a companion and a hunting buddy!
thanks everyone and we are getting ready for ducks...

p.s. I'm trying to attach a pic...but I haven't figured it out yet...
Attachments
IMG_5390.jpg
bartman
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:33 pm

Well done man!
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:00 am

that is fantastic. congrats!

arent you glad you didnt listen to that lazy trainer?
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:33 pm

Way to go Molly and bartman. Great news, :clapping:
Baymen Moe
hunter

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting