Rookie to the game

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: MIKE J., JoeP, HeritageHunter

Rookie to the game

Postby dobes » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:54 am

I just started duck hunting and I am looking for places to go. I heard that the Parker River Refuge is great for ducks especially for someone who has neither a dog or a boat (which sucks) because you can layout hunt on the marsh. I am from Western Mass. so anything closer is a plus but I am willing to travel within reason!!! I hope someone can help me out!!!! Thanks

Postby MIKE J. » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:39 pm

Welcome to the forum, I would look closer to home, PRWR is good but a dog or boat is still a good idea, too many creeks and ditches that might be too deep to get across to retrieve a bird. If you do go, look for the shallower areas with a firm bottom.

Closer to home I would really look for any beaver ponds and with all of this rain recently, fields with water etc. the birds are there, take a ride and look and listen in the woods. Good luck, let us know how things turn out.

"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckdoc » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:39 am

Check the MassWildlife website for the location of the state WMA's- there's one in the Brookfields that's supposed to be decent for waterfowling- think it's based on the Quaboag River watershed. Likely a few further west as well , if that's were you're based. Good luck!
Jim Shepherd, M.D.

Postby dobes » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:20 am

Thanks for the responses to my posting. It was greatly appreciated.

Another newbie question

Postby Atlantic Junkie » Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:56 pm

Hi all,

I'm also fairly new to sea-ducking, but am hooked in a big way.

I have a getting started question that is specific to sea ducks. Without a boat (ours is away for the winter and a true bear to launch/recover anyway) or a dog to retrieve birds, is there any way to get out for sea ducks?

I'm gtg with decoys, etc. and was wondering if there are any places where I could set up with a kayak (have one) or canoe (could get one)? Not necessarily to hunt from it, but just use it to get set/recover.

ANY other suggestions welcome! It's killing me not being able to get out there now that I have some free time....

Thanks for help/opinions.

PS- I know that going with a guide is a great option, but I both like to do things myself (more satisfying) and all the guides I've called are booked!
Like I need a reason to get on the water
Atlantic Junkie

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting