Regulation question on PRNWR

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, JoeP, Tim D, MIKE J., HeritageHunter

Regulation question on PRNWR

Postby Rockport24 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:02 pm

Hey guys, I hope this isn't too specific, if it is, please just shoot me a PM if you are so inclined, but I am reading the regs for the Parker River Refuge and it says that shooting is not allowed on any of the rivers themselves, does this mean, you cannot set up decoys on the river itself? If so, do you have to set you decoys up in the little streams and such in the marsh itself? Sorry, a little confused here!
Rockport24
hunter

Re: Regulation question on PRNWR

Postby MIKE J. » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:15 am

Send a PM to "rangercwh" he is a federal officer for that area. Good Question. thanks for posting.
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Rockport24 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:54 am

Thanks!
Rockport24
hunter

Postby Jofa » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:20 am

They are pretty strict at Parker, and have environmental officers who's only job is to patrol the Parker Reservation, so I would comply with the letter of the law up there. There's also a TON of bird watchers and naturalists wandering around Parker that would call the EPOs in a second if you were shooting outside of the hunting zone.

Their rules and maps go into great detail about where you can shoot and where you cant. The hunting zones are pretty big, and i think you could easily go in and set up in one of the little tidal ponds or streams and do well. I'm not sure why you would want to set up decoys in an area where you cant shoot? but i would suggest calling or stopping by their office at the main gate to clear up any question you have before you go shooting in there.

Good luck
Jofa
hunter

Postby Rockport24 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:30 am

Thanks! Yeah sorry, I believe it says no loaded guns on the river, so I was wondering if that just means you can't hunt from a boat on the river, but maybe you could set up decoys and hunt from the land, I'll check in with them but it sounds like you have to stay off the rivers altogether
Rockport24
hunter

Postby Jofa » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:46 pm

I hear ya, I was just looking at their web page, & I'm thinking that hunting of any kind along the rivers is off limits, but then again, its not specifically mentioned. Give them a shout and let us know what you find out, could be possible?

Here's the hunting handout w maps etc for anyone iinterested:
http://www.fws.gov/uploadedFiles/Region ... unting.pdf
Jofa
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:45 pm

i have been down there to jump shoot some of the cuts in the marsh. i did see somebody hunting at the edge of the river on the shore. that doesnt mean it is legal, though. let us know what you find out. one thing i do know is that any tides over 9.5' will flood out the marsh there. good luck and stay safe.
"I can't believe how strange it is, to be anything at all"
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby mawtrfowler » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:39 pm

You cant hunt on the parker river or the sound. Any of the streams or tidal ponds in the hunting zone are fair game. Putting your decoys on the river will probably get you a ticket
mawtrfowler
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting