Duck Hunting Forum banner

Possible repeat question

2K views 21 replies 4 participants last post by  scottywannaquacker 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
Haven't been on here in a while because I have been busy but hunting season is just starting up and I have a question. I am 17 and I have my drivers licence and my FID, am I allowed to drive with a gun in the car as long as it is properly secured?
Thanks guys,
Scott

#6 ·
i mean that you have your FID and you have your drivers license...so i am unaware of why you would not be able to drive with your cased gun. always good to make sure, and maybe somebody else can jump in and give you a more definitive answer. i will call my town's pd and ask and get back to you.

#7 ·
Professor_Leakey said:
i mean that you have your FID and you have your drivers license...so i am unaware of why you would not be able to drive with your cased gun. always good to make sure, and maybe somebody else can jump in and give you a more definitive answer. i will call my town's pd and ask and get back to you.
Thanks Leakey appreciate it

#8 ·
ha so scotty, i just called...my local pd doesnt realize that you can get an FID under 18. i told them you can at age 15 and he didnt sound like he believed me. his words were "i suggest you have him call scituate pd, the town that issued an FID to somebody under 18." soooo, i am not able to give you an answer. maybe call scituate pd, mass epo's, or wait til somebody else jumps in. :fingerhead:

#9 ·
Professor_Leakey said:
ha so scotty, i just called...my local pd doesnt realize that you can get an FID under 18. i told them you can at age 15 and he didnt sound like he believed me. his words were "i suggest you have him call scituate pd, the town that issued an FID to somebody under 18." soooo, i am not able to give you an answer. maybe call scituate pd, mass epo's, or wait til somebody else jumps in. :fingerhead:
Haha of course...I will give scituate PD a call and get squared away.
Thanks again

#11 ·
Professor_Leakey said:
***!!! Clueless law enforcement. Are you GD kidding me? I'm speechless, at least here. At home I'm dropping the F bomb... :fingerhead:

#13 ·
Scott,

You are fine to transport your shotgun. Like Leakey stated use a trigger lock and keep it unloaded and cased. I wouldnt recommend getting side tracked and forget it is in the vehicle after you are done.

I agree with Moe, Effing unbelievable law enforcement doesn't know the basics of the Mass Gun Laws. :mad:

#14 ·
MIKE J. said:
Scott,

You are fine to transport your shotgun. Like Leakey stated use a trigger lock and keep it unloaded and cased. I wouldnt recommend getting side tracked and forget it is in the vehicle after you are done.

I agree with Moe, Effing unbelievable law enforcement doesn't know the basics of the Mass Gun Laws. :mad:
Hey Mike that's awesome news. I haven't been in a while and it will be great to go soon. But it doesn't matter since I'm under 18?

#15 ·
Scott,
Yes you are okay. My son is 17 and I checked when he started transporting. If you are going to a range I would check with the club as most ranges don't allow minors under 18 to shoot alone because of insurance purposes.

Excerpt from the Mass General Law:

Massachusetts residents 15 years and older who wish to possess, carry, transport firearms, ammunition and feeding devices are required to have a firearms license.

#16 ·
MIKE J. said:
Scott,
Yes you are okay. My son is 17 and I checked when he started transporting. If you are going to a range I would check with the club as most ranges don't allow minors under 18 to shoot alone because of insurance purposes.

Excerpt from the Mass General Law:

Massachusetts residents 15 years and older who wish to possess, carry, transport firearms, ammunition and feeding devices are required to have a firearms license.
Thanks a lot Mike, this is very helpful. I have one more question. Could there be an RMV law that's tells the age a driver must be to transport a gun? I'm just trying to be as safe as possible.
Thanks

#17 ·
scotty, youre good to go, young squire. sorry, i couldnt resist. :thumbsup:

the only thing i could think of would possibly affect someone under 18 would be individual town curfew laws if you were headed out early by yourself but that is unrelated to the gun and probably not an issue, anyway...

#18 ·
Professor_Leakey said:
scotty, youre good to go, young squire. sorry, i couldnt resist. :thumbsup:

the only thing i could think of would possibly affect someone under 18 would be individual town curfew laws if you were headed out early by yourself but that is unrelated to the gun and probably not an issue, anyway...
Hahaha... Its all right. Thanks for your help boys.

#19 ·
hey, seriously, does scituate or any towns you plan to hunt have a curfew law for under 18? it is something to consider if youre driving through town at 4am on your way to meet your brother at the blind. just trying to think of things that could possibly go wrong and help you dot all your i's.

#20 ·
Professor_Leakey said:
hey, seriously, does scituate or any towns you plan to hunt have a curfew law for under 18? it is something to consider if youre driving through town at 4am on your way to meet your brother at the blind. just trying to think of things that could possibly go wrong and help you dot all your i's.
Ya I do have a curfew but it says that I can't drive between 1:00 and 4:00 or something like that...but honestly I don't think it is that inforced. I still try to abide by it though

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.