Cape Cod Puddle Duck Help

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, HeritageHunter, JoeP, Tim D, MIKE J.

Cape Cod Puddle Duck Help

Postby jduncan » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:23 am

Hello all.

I live in Dennisport and I have recently started with the sport and been out a few times near Black Flats. I took one Black duck on Saturday. I have been back to the same spot a few times with no luck. I was hoping to expand my chances with some new areas. I can't seem to get anyone to give me any help around here. I am looking for a place where I don't need a dog/boat. No sea ducks. Would anyone mind helping me out?

Thanks,

Capt. Jeff Duncan
raceptregulator@yahoo.com
jduncan
hunter

Postby jduncan » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:46 pm

Come on, give one up for the fellow hunter ....
jduncan
hunter

Postby jduncan » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:35 pm

Boy you guys are tough! That's okay! I'll find them! I found another spot today in Harwich. Saw some empty shells - don't know if that's good or bad. We'll see.
jduncan
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:24 pm

JD, welcome to the site, Keep looking around for new areas to hunt down there but don't abandon the places you have had success, Once the weather pattern gets cold and stays cold you will see alot more puddler's heading to the coast looking for open water.

Normally you gotta give a topic a day or two before someone will post a reply. There is a great bunch of waterfowler's here and they will help out when they can. just give it some time.

Good luck. Mike :salude:
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jduncan » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:32 am

Thanks Mike, will do!

J
jduncan
hunter

Postby JD » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:31 am

There aren't to many good places left on the lower Cape to hunt. You might try Bells Neck in Harwich.
JD
hunter

Postby jduncan » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:40 am

Yes, I was there scoping things out the other day. There were a few trucks around but I think it's mostly black powder deer hunters.

I also noted that the last few times I went out on Black Flats it was high tide. Seems like there was just too much water creating too many options for the ducks. I did better at low tide.

Also, I imagine this warm weather isn't helping me either. I had more luck when it was cold AND low tide.

Suppose I will keep waiting.

I am used to working the small water areas of the marshes - what is the trick without a dog or boat to working the larger water bodies? Pick a cove with some weeds and put the gear out?

Jeff
jduncan
hunter

Postby duckdoc » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:38 pm

Just saw your post- Bell's Neck is where I go. Haven't really found other places in this neck of the woods that consistently draw puddle ducks and allow legal/safe hunting prospects.
Duckdoc
duckdoc
hunter

Postby JD » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:48 pm

Don't know how good you are at calling but that is the key. There are many places at Bell's Neck where the river is pretty narrow. I have seen guys call them in right on top of them. I am not that good. I get there attention but sometimes scare them off when I get them close. You could also invest in a Mojo Motorized Duck Decoy. I have seen them used down there with some good success and you don't have to lug a bunch of decoys. You can also set it up in the marsh and not be in any water as they are on a pole. Another area you could try is Sandy Neck Marsh. Again it's all about properly calling them in.
JD
hunter

Postby jduncan » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:41 pm

Thanks! Right now I only have a feeding mallards call because thats all Dicks had when I went. I am looking for any suggestions on getting a good call. I'll order one from Cabelas. I'm expecting some gift cards from Santa ... Any suggestions on what to get? I want a quality call.

Thanks,

Jeff
jduncan
hunter

Postby JD » Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:45 am

I use a Gaston. The best thing to do is check out the Duck Calling Forum, I'm sure you could get some good advice there. There are many calls out there some are much eaiser to use than others.
JD
hunter

Postby JD » Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:55 am

One other note if you really get into waterfowl hunting get a dog. It makes it more fun to have a companion along and it keeps you busy in the off season with training. It is a little time consuming for the first couple of years with the training but once the dog is finished it brings a new dimention to the hunt. The dog can also be used during pheasant season. If you don't want to train the dog yourself you can get a finished dog or have someone train the dog for you.
JD
hunter

Postby Mike M. » Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:29 pm

Welcome to the site jduncan. I don't know a lot about the cape but I imagine its similar to other coastal areas in MA. I don't have a dog either (family member is allergic) but a boat is really a must have for hunting in this state in my experience as salt marsh bottoms are often not safe for walking on and are too deep at other times of the tide and of course for retrieving birds. If you are new at calling I would shy away from calling a lot. I like double reed calls as they are not as loud and are raspy. I use the haydel's red leg call. Its about 30 dollars from cabelas. The haydels dr85 is also a good call and is less expensive. One tip on decoys would be to use black duck decoys.

good luck
Mike M.
hunter

Postby jduncan » Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:54 pm

Thanks everyone. I have a kayak I can use if I need to. It looks like the poly Buck Gardner double nasty II is a good call to start with from what I am reading in the forums? I definately need to get some black duck decoys since all I have are mallards. I have been setting the hens out which look pretty close.

For the the guys that go to Bells Neck - It seems like it could be a very popular place - do you find that you have company most mornings?

Thanks for the info everyone.

Jeff
jduncan
hunter

Postby duckdoc » Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:52 pm

With the reservoir to the west, the tidal pond to the east, and the marshes running the length of the river, it's big enough to accomodate a fair number of hunters. It's the non-hunters that you have to keep an eye open for (especially kayakers on the river), and in some spots might be handy to have a laser range finder to confirm that 500+ ft distance from the nearest house...
Bagged a black there today....saw no other ducks save buffies....spooked a bunch of Canadas with my yak before I had a chance to get out my Benelli.
Duckdoc
duckdoc
hunter

Postby jduncan » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:38 am

Can you take Canada geese down here this time of year?

I think I am going to keep trying my spot over in Black Flats - lots of activity there - when the AM tide gets lower this week my spot will pick up I think. I'm going to be there a few mornings this coming week.

Last week I was there sharing the area with a guy who was deer hunting (black powder opened on the 11th) and he dragged a spike horn out. Maybe next year I'll get a muzzle loader and hunt duck AND deer at the same time!

I need to remind myself to wear an orange hat out of the marsh when I am finished.

Thanks for the advice everyone. More next week ...

Capt. Jeff Duncan
www.fishoutercape.com
jduncan
hunter

Postby duckdoc » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:33 am

Capt Jeff- you can take up to 2 Canadas per day during the regular duck and goose season, which runs until Jan 17. You can also take two Atlantic Brant per day until Dec 27.
If you plan to hunt deer, bring orange hat AND an orange vest (see hunting regs), in addition to your license/deer tags (need to tag deer before moving it).
Good hunting!
Duckdoc
duckdoc
hunter

Postby jduncan » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:16 pm

Can I take a Canada using the 3" HV Nitro Steel Magnum in #4 I use for ducks or do I need something heavier like 2 or 3?

j
jduncan
hunter

Postby DieselDog » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:10 am

I would use BB's....but you do what you want...lol :getdown:

Unless you are bgonna shoot some kinda heavy shot..I shoot BB's at evrything this time of year ...ducks geese it doesn't natter cause their plummage is thick....I shoot 3" kent BB's with a wad wizard supreme choke and it is devastating...
If it flies, it dies; if it's brown, it's down; if it swims, gaff it!
DieselDog
hunter

Postby duckdoc » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:58 am

I shoot 3.5 inch in #2 or BB for geese...barely feel the recoil with my Benelli SBE 2 with all the recoil-reducing stuff in the stock. Otherwise I'd be shooting 3 inch in same sizes- just as effective I'm sure, but doesn't hurt to have those extra pellets if your gun (and shoulder) will permit the use of the 3.5 inch loads...
Duckdoc
duckdoc
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting