Federal Refuge is closed!!!

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, MIKE J., JoeP, HeritageHunter, Tim D

Federal Refuge is closed!!!

Postby rangercwh » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:02 pm

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the Federal Refuge at Parker River NWR is closed due to a lapse in appropriations. Officers are forced to tell you to leave the Refuge if you are out there hunting. If I could speak personally about this, I would say much of what you are saying right now. Believe me. But I came on this site identifying myself as a federal officer, so no can do....

If you feel the need to beat up on me, please keep those comments to yourself, as you can't imagine the stress that I have been experiencing. My last pay check was 4 days short of pay, and there is not another one coming for who knows how long, close to a month at best. Also, turning people away is just not a pleasant thing to be required to do.

I usually love my job, love the Refuge, and love to waterfowl hunt more than any other activity. I have found great satisfaction helping people on the marsh. The Refuge Youth Waterfowl Hunt was also cancelled, and I also am losing out by not being able to hunt the Refuge.

Now you know.

Hope to see you out there soon.
rangercwh
hunter

Re: Federal Refuge is closed!!!

Postby MIKE J. » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:16 pm

Thanks Chris for being upfront, Hopefully things will work out for everyone.
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SMSovis » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:32 am

Best of luck to you.

Everyone needs to do things they don't want to do and I understand you are just doing your job.

Maybe you should take a little time to go hunt yourself?
"Crime doesn't pay, and weasels finish last."
SMSovis
hunter

Postby dredgebob » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:10 am

Just wanted to say that in the past, Chris has been tremendously helpful to this relatively new duck hunter. Chris, thanks for your help. We all wish you the best and hope that the bozos in Congress can get their act together and get you back out on the marsh.

Bob
dredgebob
hunter

Postby JTR » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:54 pm

Wait, so you are working and not getting paid?
Ruger's Retrieves: I lost count
JTR
hunter

Postby rangercwh » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:15 pm

Thanks for your support.

That is correct. Work with no pay.

I was out on the Refuge marsh today to talk to a couple of guys after they finished their hunt. I had some reports to do...

Looks like this will end soon reading the news today.

Slow start this morning to the season.
rangercwh
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:22 pm

dredgebob wrote:Just wanted to say that in the past, Chris has been tremendously helpful to this relatively new duck hunter. Chris, thanks for your help. We all wish you the best and hope that the bozos in Congress can get their act together and get you back out on the marsh.

Bob

i am not sure which ranger it was that i spoke to in the past...but i was on the phone with a ranger at parker river and he was extremely helpful and gave me tons of great information. i was very impressed with the time he took to help me out. glad that there are signs that the shutdown will be over with soon.
DuckPharm wrote:I'm talking about the pie billed goldeneye.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting