My 2013 Season, a Running Report

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, Tim D, HeritageHunter, MIKE J., JoeP

My 2013 Season, a Running Report

Postby Joser06 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:34 pm

I figure that I might as well not clog up the boards with individual reports for most of the trips I get out on and just post the pictures and stories here. Here are the photos from earlier this year. Granted most ducks do look the same, I love seeing pictures of what people have shot.
Early goose
Inland opener limit
Joser06
hunter

Re: My 2013 Season, a Running Report

Postby Joser06 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:40 pm

Today was the second day of inland season and it didn't disappoint. I managed a hen mallard, hen black duck, hen wood duck and two drake woodies. I should have had another bird but i blew my chances at another large duck. The morning flight wasn't as good as yesterdays which is understandable and the also was a lot of fog to contend with. The wood duck wanted everything to do with my decoys today but the large ducks were taking as they passed by. Getting tired already but will be back at it tomorrow.
Very hard to capture the beauty of a woodie drake on camera
Joser06
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:25 pm

always like seeing the photos and stories you put up, joser. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Joser06 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:30 pm

Got out today in a different spot from the last two days and it was woodie central! Managed a limit early and spent a lot of the morning hunt watching woodies fly into the dekes and hang out for a while making all sorts of noise. The highlight of the trip was the only big duck to venture into my area landed in a blind spot from where I was hunting. I jumped it up and and dropped it stone cold in to the thick stuff it was hiding in. Once the flight was over I went looking for it and looked hard for 15 minutes in the worst weeds you could walk through. I was about to give up when I was back in the same spot I started and I looked at my feet and just see tail feathers sticking out of a clump of weeds nothing else. There she was. Just where I started looking... It was rewarding just finding it because I hate wasting birds. So ended up with 3 woodies and a mallard. Still a great day. At this rate I am well on my way to my best season yet!
Joser06
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:44 pm

Man Joser, you're doing great. When is the BBQ for us? :biggrin:
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:36 pm

you hen killer!! :sarcmark: (sarcasm mixed with jealousy)

your'e doing great, joser. :clapping: love the photos and reports. wish i could get out during the week, too.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Joser06 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:26 pm

Moe the bbq is right now. Mallard is on the grill as I write this.

Leaky, I would rather they all be drakes myself but the hens eat just as well. :yes:
Joser06
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:33 pm

[quote="Joser06"]Moe the bbq is right now. Mallard is on the grill as I write this.

Oh yeah. My goal this season is to cook some over a fire in my fire pit.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:37 pm

joser, you know im just messing with you...just my inner pot stirrer speaking. great work and keep the posts coming!!
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Joser06 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:00 pm

Did a quick jumpshoot on the way back from work. Went up to a small pond and there were several mallards and a black there feeding in the middle. I tried sneaking up to them 2 different ways and couldn't get close enough so I walked around them and got down wind and sneaked right up on them. I got the black and a mallard and another mallard pulled a Houdini on me. In the excitement of the shooting, closed my thumb in the breach reloading, that sucked. Still throbbing. So a good quick hunt, nothing wrong with that and these two will be getting grilled up tonight.
Last edited by Joser06 on Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joser06
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:10 pm

We need to come up with a name for that stone wall. I'll go first. Mount Duckmore :lol3:
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:11 pm

Final Roosting Place?
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby Boats84 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:12 pm

First woodie this morning.
Boats84
hunter

Postby Joser06 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:15 pm

Baymen Moe wrote:Final Roosting Place?

Haha I like that one. I would rather take pictures in the field but I don't like to leave my dx3200 in the truck.
Joser06
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:20 pm

Nice pic Boats :thumbsup: But there's a joke in there too. :beer:
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby Boats84 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:52 pm

Baymen Moe wrote:Nice pic Boats :thumbsup: But there's a joke in there too. :beer:

Wait are you trying to get a rise out me? :)
Boats84
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:54 pm

Boats84 wrote:
Baymen Moe wrote:Nice pic Boats :thumbsup: But there's a joke in there too. :beer:

Wait are you trying to get a rise out me? :)

Not going there...
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby Joser06 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:14 pm

So after taking Sat off and being restless on Sunday, I went out for a quick hunt before work. Set up in a place I hunted last week in hope that a few birds took refuge there over the weekend. I heard quite a few shot prior to 6:34 this morning. I wasn't impressed with that. Had a few woodies drop into my spot just after legal but decided to wait to jump them until the light conditions were better. While waiting 8-10 mallard and black mix flock cruised in but settled 150 feet away. Too far to sneak up to so I decided to jump the woodies. Flushed them and one shotted a drake I picked out, let the rest fly. This scared the mallards nearby. I had another drake woodie drop by and took him. I decided to retrieve my two downed birds because the last woodie was still lively in the water. While retrieving the drakes another drake hen pair drops by and I take that drake also. Now at a woodie limit, I am convinced that now all I will see is dumb woodies but only had a few more zip by. I decided to do a couple blind calls and 10 seconds later, three drake mallards drop into my dekes with no hesitation. I took two of the three and if I had altered the shooting order, would have had all three. I got buzzed by another flock of three mallards that were too tightly grouped to shoot at and called it a day early to head off to work. One interesting thing I found was the curls on one of the mallards had some white on them and this is something I have never seen. Something different to look at. Also I only got one mallard here last week so some new birds have called this spot home. I believe some birds came south with this cold. This week should be very interesting!
Joser06
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:38 pm

The stone wall of fame continues, you're on a freakin roll Joser. :thumbsup:
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby McManusClan5 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:02 pm

:eek:

Very nice - could feel my heart rate rise with the description of taking them!

Matt
McManusClan5
hunter

Postby cape-shot » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:11 pm

Holy crap dude! Save some birds for the migration :lol3: Love seeing the reports and pics, keep it up! :beer:
cape-shot
hunter

Postby Mike M. » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:57 pm

You are off to a great start!
A serious reduction in the population of black ducks would mean the end of waterfowl hunting for the majority of the New England sportsmen.

Rachel Carson, 1947
Mike M.
hunter

Postby Joser06 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:50 am

I wanted to sleep in when the alarm went off this morning, so I did! Woke up and decided to do a little jumpshooting before anything else. I went to the spot where I got a couple mallards last week. Well that pond was empty and the only ducks I saw was a good flock of woodies in a spot I have never seen ducks before. They flushed before I could even raise the gun. I hit a pond on the way out that is strewn with fallen timber and saw one mallard drake across the pond. Well even one duck is a duck so I walked across the pond, over logs, etc while hiding behind cattails and got a shot off and got him. This flushed up a bunch of mallards I hadn't seen and some wood duck. Well a hen woodie saw my ripple and set down right next to me. Big mistake! Took her as well. I missed a couple shots on a hen mallard and a drake woodie. While picking up the mallard I hear a splash right behind me. I turn around and there is a drake woodie staring at me fifteen feet away. Awesome, it flushes to the right along the water and and I put the bead in front of its head and one shot it. I picked it up and was horrified by the damage done to the head. I have never done that with a flying bird.- I have done it with a finishing shot on a cripple but never a bird in flight. Well black cloud at close range may be overkill. A great day out hunting without waking up early.
Joser06
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:33 pm

Nice work Joser :thumbsup:
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby McManusClan5 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:41 pm

The 10ga worked well on that drake woodie! :sarcmark:

Seriously, nice morning! And sleeping in, for the win. :bow:

Went out to Oxbow this morning (with Maurry) and we pushed up about a dozen - 15 birds (2 woodies, rest mallards) but didn't get any shots off. Know the area better now, though, so next time... next time...

(building stone wall for pictures)

:lol3:

Nice work today. Amazing consistency!

Matt

(edited to change a 10 gram gun to a 10 guage. :rolleyes: sheesh)
McManusClan5
hunter

Next

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting