My 2013 Season, a Running Report

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, MIKE J., HeritageHunter, JoeP, Tim D

Re: My 2013 Season, a Running Report

Postby McManusClan5 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:59 am

woodduck14 wrote:Heck of a day joser. That is def a stud teal. I'm glad it happens to other people too as soon as you stand up to change the spread a flock flies over.

Happened to me twice yesterday. We were beating around in the buckbrush looking for a downed bird when a flock of a dozen geese comes to take a look. Froze and got on the call and landed them in an opening about 50 yds out. Snuck back on shore (didn't have our guns as it was a bit deep and needed both hands to climb around), grabbed the gun and THEN they flew off - just out of range.

While we were sneaking back for the guns, of course a pair of ducks also decided to land just beyond the geese.

Bummer not to get them, but was awesome to watch and a blast calling to them. I love when you turn one and the rest of the flock hesistates… thinks… then follows them right in. Now, much better if they follow them in while you have a gun in hand. :rolleyes:

Anyway, that is one heckuva hunt joser! :thumbsup:
McManusClan5
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:22 am

absolutely fantastic, joser. you da man!! :thumbsup:

it amazes me how without fail, birds always fly by when im out in the decoys. when i left my spot yesterday, i hadnt seen a thing fly in over an hour. as i was picking up the decoys to leave, here comes a flock of 25+ geese and me sitting in my canoe.
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Joser06 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:44 pm

So I figured this bitter cold would bring some fresh ducks in. Well I don't think so, if it did, not many. I went back to the spot I got last weeks limit out of with less than high hopes. I scouted it out two days ago and it was a desert. Two days ago went out for a solid skunk so it turned into a scouting day. I arrived this morning and set up in the freezing temps and waited for first light. First light came and went with not a single critter with feathers flying by... I figured as much. 45 min into the legal hunt, two drake mallards fly by and I turn them with 2 quacks and a greeting. They come on over and bang, 2 ducks on the water. I went over to retrieve them and I grab the first one and do the band check, nothing like usual. The grab the next duck and do the usual check and I double take.Jewelry on the second drake mallard!!! I yell to myself because I am pumped!! I let the decoys float for another 45 min and pack it up early to make the low tide. I jet over to the marsh a bit later than I would have liked but upon walking out into the marsh I was already seeing black ducks zooming around. I make it to my first creek and put up a single. Perfect easy shot flying straight away from me. One shot one kill. That shot put up a ton of blacks and there were actually some blacks halfway between me and where that bird jumped from maybe twenty feet ahead of me. I kept walking the marsh just in case there were some oddball around or some teal but all I kept seeing where blacks. I probably had two dozen birds that were easy shots jumped from the creek and there were maybe 8 birds that I got close enough to water swat them if I wanted. Very good marsh conditions and more blacks than I could care to see. Probably saw over 200 blacks today just no variety... The black duck I shot had dark red legs also, maybe a migrant bird?

The drake mallard was banded in Newfields, NH on 9/9/13 and was hatched this year.

Joser06
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:30 pm

Nice Job Joser! Congrats on the Granite State Bling :thumbsup:
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Joser06 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:30 am

Another solo hunt this morning. Very wet. I struck out at my first spot and blew the only chances I had at taking a bird there. That was very frustrating but it is what it is. I decided to hit the marsh to see if I could at lest score a black duck. All the salt pannes that were frozen were thawed and every single duck was hanging out on the pannes and not in the creeks so that was a pretty lame hunt. I only add a pair blacks jump up with in shotgun range but the were far enough off that I didn't shoot because to take one of those birds would have killed the other. The one bird limit on black ducks is tough sometimes.... So after I struck out there I tried one last spot for redemption and I managed to find a mix flock of blacks and mallards. I could only jumpshoot them and I did my very best to get close enough. I managed to get just close enough and put down a great looking drake mallard and stopped shooting because I knew I didn't hit him well enough to kill him stone cold. I am happy to get that one bird. I had to work very hard for it.

Joser06
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:57 pm

joser, congrats again. youre really having a great season! the recipe thread here needs a bump...how about adding the recipe from your whole roaster? it looked delicious! :beer:
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby JTR » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:16 pm

I'm probably going to quit reading this thread, simply because I get too jealous reading it while I'm tucked away in a cubicle.
Ruger's Retrieves: I lost count
JTR
hunter

Postby Joser06 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:26 pm

JTR wrote:I'm probably going to quit reading this thread, simply because I get too jealous reading it while I'm tucked away in a cubicle.

Hahaha don't get too jealous. I tried hunting inland today and went to three different spots of mine including two small rivers. Over 1/4" of ice at every spot. Never even saw a duck. I got locked out of all of my best spots... Going to be slowing down for me big time.
Joser06
hunter

Postby Boats84 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:32 am

I had same problem with two of my spots hosting Bruins practice. So an hour and a half into season, I hit a tidal river. Of course all the ducks were tucked tight to the bank right at the houses where I walk in. Needless to say all forty jumped and went to the snooty side of the river. So I trekked out to sit for a bit anyways and sat down in my usual spot. The only thing that came in range was a guy on a stand up paddle board!! Now remember the reason I'm there is bc of the 2" of ice from the cold temps. I have every piece of cold wx gear on including hand warmers stuffed in places that the sun doesn't shine and this guy is out paddle boarding.... I wonder if those boards come in Max 4 and have a shot gun rack option?
Boats84
hunter

Postby Joser06 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:46 pm

So with all of my inland spots frozen up I had to make it over to the coast for a shot at a duck. I hit one of my favorite marshes at low tide for a jumpshoot. The first and only duck I shot at was a stud black duck that I knocked a few feathers off of and the second shot I knew I winged it by way it cartwheeled to the ground. I ran over to the area it landed as fast as I could and began the search . I must have circled that area 20 times looking for that duck but it was tough with 10 inch marsh grass. All I found was a down feather. I gave up and continued along the creek and after 3 steps I saw a wing flap 30 feet in front of me and ran that duck down. I will say that duck must have gone to the Patriots camp with the way it was juking me but I eventually caught up with it. I walked that entire marsh but except for some geese that where way off, every duck was black duck and I had some excellent shots if they were a different species but nothing different presented itself. The coolest thing that happened is that I was stepping across a tiny creek and a black duck was trapped underneath me. It struggled to get away so it could spread its wings and fly away. That creek must have been 18 inches wide.

Joser06
hunter

Postby Joser06 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:43 am

Got out for a marsh hunt yesterday, been very busy with work. I got my black duck very quick. A good looking drake. I had time to kill so I wanted to finish the marsh off. I had some great sneaks on black ducks but was already limited out. I had a odd duck fly past me and land in a section of the creek I was heading to so I sneaked up and a drake black comes flying up. Not the bird I saw fly in. I lowered my gun and right underneath me a hen golden eye flew up. The first shot knocked some feathers off and the second shot was a miss. The bird flew off up the creek. I blew it. I kept working up the creek and I found her again diving in the creek but she played a hard game of cat and mouse and won. At one point she was 5 feet away but she was coming up and going down faster than I could put the bead on her. On the way back to my car I walked the entire creek the long way just to see if I could find her again but she was gone. The black was still a nice bird and this one was interesting because I found one old steel pellet lodged in the tenderloin against the breast bone. I couldn't find any other scar tissue from where it was shot but it was definitely old as the body had encased it in tissue. Also this black had a green but and some green on its head so it had some mallard in it.

Joser06
hunter

Postby cape-shot » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:06 pm

good looking black duck joser! I found a single BB shot between the skin and breast meat of a goose last year. It had the same tissue surrounding the BB.
cape-shot
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:25 pm

one of my spring turkeys had a .22 round lodged in its leg that i discovered while using it as crab bait over the summer. encased in tissue like you described.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Joser06 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:58 pm

Been a while since I have made a post here but have gone out on a few hunts. I got a black on most hunts and got my first hooded merganser out of a flock of three. I probably could have shot all three but didn't see the need to kill all three. I went out today and had a good time. I shot my first bufflehead. I was walking a deep tidal river and saw three ripples in the water I hunkered down and waited for them to come up. A pair came up to my left and a single hen came up in front of me. Once I figured out what they were I raised the gun as the hen flew right to left and I took her. Now I wasn't familiar with how deep this river was so i tried wading out to it but it was too deep so I had to walk the bank until it came up to a mud bar and walk out and get her. I saw some mergansers and another diver that was too far out to id and plenty of black ducks. I was walking the river and came to an inlet of a creek and saw ripples in the water raised my gun and a flock of about 12 birds jumps up with the lead bird being a drake mallard and the rest blacks. First shot took the drake and second shot dropped a hen black. I packed it up right then and called it a successful hunt. That is the first mallard I have shot in the salt marsh. About time. Now for some pictures.

Joser06
hunter

Postby woodduck14 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:35 am

Way to go Joser! Congrats on the first butterball and hooded merg. They are pretty cool birds...
Don't tread on me.
woodduck14
hunter

Postby Zone11-Dh » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:23 pm

Nice birds! I'm still trying to get a good hoodie to mount. I have taking a couple but I'm still waiting for the right one to dish out the cash for a mount. Nice job.
Zone11-Dh
hunter

Postby Joser06 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:55 pm

I made it out again to the marsh and had a very good day that started out not so well. I managed to sneak right up on a group of black duck and when the first bird flushed, I whiffed the first shot and my gun double fed.... The other 4 birds got up and got out of there.I walked a whole river and just couldn't get a close enough to get my black duck. Always a matter of about 10 feet. I managed to get up of a pair of bufflehead that flew the wrong way and managed to grab a hen. On the way back to the car, I found an open creek that I haven't seen before and put up some black duck just out of range before coming across a mallard pair. I shot the drake and the hen was just out of range when I drew on her. I kept walking down the river toward my ca when I get off a shot on a hen hooded merganser. Trying to retrieve her I walked off a mud clump in over the waders and now soaked, had to walk a long distance around to the other side. So now, very wet, I start walking fast up the river to where it was able to be crossed and I put up a black duck well within range and I finally get my black duck. This black duck was a monster though and was absolutely the largest one I have ever killed. Upon getting home I had to take a quick shower and run to work. Once I was able to clean the birds, I opened up the black duck and found it was laced with rice breast. This is the second bird I have ever shot with rice breast and the also the second this year.

Joser06
hunter

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting