Parker River WildLife Refuge...

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, Tim D, HeritageHunter, MIKE J., JoeP

Parker River WildLife Refuge...

Postby PghDuckHunter » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:05 am

Folks,

Im new to the area having relocated in the spring from Pittsburgh, PA. Im fortunate enough to live almost within walking distance of PRWR areas B and C.

Ive been out scouting and I think I have the areas ID'd where I will be heading out this weekend and most mornings until the 26th.

I just have a couple of questions:

1.) I was planning on having about 6 decoys of black ducks that I can put in the various puddles/salt flats. is this a sound strategy?

2.) I have never hunted with any possibility of sea ducks? Do they decoy? Can you call them? If so with what?

3.) Is there any mechanical decoy restriction in the reservation? I cant find any so I think its ok to use Mojos....

Thanks all.

EJ
PghDuckHunter
hunter

Re: Parker River WildLife Refuge...

Postby rangercwh » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:25 am

1. Six decoys is fine, you could go less, although Area B still states that you need six. (We are in the works to change the federal register to eliminate that regulation and allow jump shooting too, not yet).

2. Not likely to see sea ducks up in the Refuge hunting areas. More likely to find them at the mouth of the Merrimack, out around the jetties, or at the south end of the Island. They decoy with sea duck decoys. That's a whole different subject.

3. No restriction on mojos on the Refuge, or the reservation of anywhere in the state that I know of. The Refuge is a National Wildlife Refuge, and the Reservation usually refers to Salisbury Beach State Reservation, or some people call Sandy Point a Reservation.

I'll give you a call sometime today to help assure you end up in the right place.

Thanks
rangercwh
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting