Duck Hunting Forum banner

Saturday Hunt

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Bunker 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
What an incredible morning to be paddling the canoe. That moon at 5am was just an amazing way to see everything around you. Today my son joined me for the fun. He's 11 and not shooting just yet but loves hunting, and all he talked about all week was going today. He's quite the confident canoeist and we got to the spot with a half hour to spare. We set out a fairly small spread of dekes and waited.

This mornings flight was quick as expected and not a ton of birds but more than I thought we'd see. A nice mix of woodies, greenwings, a pair of bluewings and a few black ducks. I think it was Joser that said something about missing the easy shot's and killing the tough ones, today was that for me. I completely blanked two shot's on a black duck hovering seemingly motionless over the decoys, and a nice drake woody gave me the same offer. What I did end up connecting on was a nice double on teal as they were setting into the dekes at MACH 10, go figure. Pleased that the drake greenwings are nicely feathered out.

The best part of today was having my son with me, what a way to spend time together. Have a great weekend everyone. Go Sox and Pats.
101913.JPG

1019132.JPG

1019133.JPG

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Congrats on the great hunt and getting your son out there. It is very nice to see he is interested in the sport. Great color on those birds. I have seen them scouting but not when I have had a gun in my hand. At least you got those birds on a great double and putting that Maxis to good use.

#7 ·
Cross post from Maine "priceless" thread:

Baymen Moe said:
Oh Bunker what a cutie! That's some great stuff. You can see a similar post from my hunt today in Ma. Although my son is a bit older. But just the same we're passing it on.
Thx Moe! Your boy looks ready willing and more than able! I'm sure he'll be a force to reckon with when he gets some shells in that gun! Lil has a way to go but the enthusiasm is definitely there. She's wanted to go all season but Ive been trying to find the right time. Temp and ease of location were a big factor at least to me in hopes of fostering not discouraging. Have to say I'm more than a little jealous of your duck nuggets. Of the 4 we got only one was male and you had to strain to see the red feathers on the head and flecks of green by the eye. Great birds and great times! Heres to passin' it on!

Sent from my pocket pop-tart type thingy via Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.