resilient green head

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, JoeP, Tim D, MIKE J., HeritageHunter

resilient green head

Postby briggsy » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:48 am

photo.JPG
photo.JPG (60.55 KiB) Viewed 332 times
The Green Head Gang of central MA had a great week. Numbers were good, we had some good laughs, good shooting, and everyone came home a little weary, but safe. We hunted ponds, swamps and rivers, all with varied success. We saw more woodies than ever, we thought we had some spots figured out....we didn't....and some spots surprised us. We didn't take many pics this week, but I couldn't help taking this one from yesterday...this young green head was flushed, shot, shot again, and took a tumble in the weeds....then proceeded to elude 5 hunters, two in boats, 3 on land for the better part of an hour and a half...at one point, it held its breath under water for over 15 minutes...then started just putting his beak up just enough to get a breath and swim....my brother finally saw it just sticking the top of his head out of the water and got a good shot on him...We stuck with it, and it paid off...i am amazed at some of the toughness these ducks have displayed this week...

briggsy
briggsy
hunter

Re: resilient green head

Postby Joser06 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:32 pm

It is amazing how much life they have when they get shot sometimes. Congrats on a fun weekend.
Joser06
hunter

Re: resilient green head

Postby woodduck14 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:21 pm

Ducks are tougher than people think.

We had a wood duck play dead on our dog this past week. It was on it's back laying completly still and when the dog seemed to slow down and get close the thing sprang to life, but that only worked for so long.
Don't tread on me.
woodduck14
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting