Question on outboard laws?

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, JoeP, Tim D, MIKE J., HeritageHunter

Question on outboard laws?

Postby Remingtonguy » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:17 pm

Hey guys, shopping for a boat while waiting to get my LTC. I was wondering where I can find laws on running a boat in estuaries/rivers. At home there are only a few you cant run a jet on. I am looking for a 16 to 17 foot flat bottom to run as far as I can into estuaries and rivers for hunting and fishing. Look forward to hearing back.

Clint
2009-2010 Season: Ducks 72, Geese 15
2010-2011 Season: Ducks 113, Geese 9
Remingtonguy
hunter

Re: Question on outboard laws?

Postby Professor_Leakey » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:27 pm

have at it, man...im not sure of any laws that would stop you, barring usage on certain rivers i am not aware of with special restrictions. i guess it may depend on where you plan on running your boat. here is a link to the mass boating laws; hope it is helpful. what part of the state did you move to? welcome! youre smart to dot all you i's around here.

http://www.mass.gov/eea/grants-and-tech-assistance/enforcement/environmental-police/boat-and-recreation-vehicle-safety-bureau/massachusetts-boating-law-summary.html
"I can't believe how strange it is, to be anything at all"
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:08 pm

The only thing that would stop you running up a river system is a dam or a slow kayaker. Some towns have their own bylaws for boat operation, horsepower restrictions etc. So i would research those.
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby McManusClan5 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:44 pm

MIKE J. wrote:The only thing that would stop you running up a river system is a dam or a slow kayaker. Some towns have their own bylaws for boat operation, horsepower restrictions etc. So i would research those.

Or a damn slow kayaker (raises hand). :lol3:

I think that if you're talking about running up river from the salt, you shouldn't see many (again, it's MA, so you do need to check carefully) restrictions until you basically can't run any more. On fresh water, if you're above dams and such, you'll be putting in other than in the salt - any time you do that, you need to be much more careful (and certainly on any body of standing sweet water).

One thing that might trip you up (not sure) is any "no discharge" municipalities that are upstream from the salt, but downstream from any impediments to travel. Not sure about the whole coast (and I might be overly sensitive, as nearly every town around me is no discharge - but I'm in metro west). Just need to check.

And welcome to MA!!! Hope to see you out there.

What kind of fishing do you prefer?

Matt
McManusClan5
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:32 pm

I would recommend researching the pro's and Con's of using a jet drive in New England, They work great in areas with hard bottom but struggle with soft sand, mud and silt. If skinny water is gonna be the majority of your hunting I would look at a tunnel hull with a jack plate for a outboard.
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby james1981 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:38 pm

I am not sure but many guys run outboard motors around here, If I was you I would look into kayaks or canoes for running estuaries as you can jump shoot out of them legally. I am not sure if you are looking at a salt boat or a freshwater boat.. there are a lot of options to choose from....
The second thing I would look for is knowing that you are running rivers in COLD weather not sure how durable they are for the north... I run a 9.9 mariner outboard, got it cheap and runs great.
james1981
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting