More ducks?

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, JoeP, Tim D, MIKE J., HeritageHunter

More ducks?

Postby mawtrfowler » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:28 pm

Any body notice more birds than usual on bodies of water you normally drive by? I noticed a lot of birds flying around the Merrimack as I was leaving Lowell today. Then I got a call from my buddy saying he was seeing 4 or 5 times the birds he normally sees during his morning commute. Naturally I had to go have a look for myself and I saw plenty of black ducks, mallards and geese on a lot of the ponds I drove by. Now I need to decide whether I'm going for pheasant or ducks tomorrow

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk
mawtrfowler
hunter

Re: More ducks?

Postby Professor_Leakey » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:01 pm

i havent noticed any more or fewer ducks this week...except i have noticed some ringers around.

i am curious to know if people are still seeing the same numbers of wood ducks around or if they are starting to move out with the colder weather we had recently.

good luck tomorrow, whether it be ducks or pheasant.
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Joser06 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:21 pm

I stopped by Great Pond in Andover and there was a whole flock of coot there and three bufflehead just hanging out. These are the first coot I have seen this year. Haven't been out in a couple day but the wood duck have moved out for the most part. I am only seeing a couple here and there. Not like it used to be for sure.
Joser06
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:10 pm

that is what i figured. it may be slow tomorrow for me unless some new birds have moved in. crossing my fingers to see some ringers.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:14 pm

Tons of mallards in the ponds down the street from me. The water is down from the bogs being flooded and the ducks poured in. And yes, no hunting there. :mad:
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:15 pm

there were quite a few big ducks in those ponds when i was driving past on my way home last saturday.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby woodduck14 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:31 pm

I saw a good amount of ducks this morning. Hoping they are still around tomorrow, there still seems to be a decent amount of wood ducks. According to my hunting log I usually shoot them up until this week then they seem to disapear, let's hope they are around for at least one more hunt.
Don't tread on me.
woodduck14
hunter

Postby mawtrfowler » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:25 am

Decided to go out for pheasant this morning and give the dog a good workout. Got one hen, the state has been stocking the area I frequent very strangely and sparsely but I've still been able to get on some birds every time I've gone out. Talked to some guys that were going in as I was leaving and told them that the area hadn't been stocked. As I was at the truck I heard shots from nearby. Went to investigate and saw a father and son jump a couple ducks and open fire and miss. Walked out to the marsh to let them know they were in the coastal zone and that the season had closed a week ago, luckily for them they didn't hit any and there weren't any game wardens around. Of course the others guys walking in had those birds swing over them and they all unloaded as well :no: I'm assuming they thought they were pheasant, where are the wardens when you need them?
mawtrfowler
hunter

Postby McManusClan5 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:32 am

Saw very few ducks, relatively, this morning. The geese were out and about, though (at least a normal amount).
McManusClan5
hunter

Postby kjm1022 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:38 am

mawtrfowler wrote:Decided to go out for pheasant this morning and give the dog a good workout. Got one hen, the state has been stocking the area I frequent very strangely and sparsely but I've still been able to get on some birds every time I've gone out. Talked to some guys that were going in as I was leaving and told them that the area hadn't been stocked. As I was at the truck I heard shots from nearby. Went to investigate and saw a father and son jump a couple ducks and open fire and miss. Walked out to the marsh to let them know they were in the coastal zone and that the season had closed a week ago, luckily for them they didn't hit any and there weren't any game wardens around. Of course the others guys walking in had those birds swing over them and they all unloaded as well :no: I'm assuming they thought they were pheasant, where are the wardens when you need them?

In the short 10 years I've been hunting, I've notice a dramatic increase in hunters at all my spots including WMA's. It's good to see more people getting into hunting, unfortunately it bears more idiots in the woods than ever before. I read more and more about guys shooting stuff out of season, sitting in other peoples deer stands or duck blinds, skybusting, setting up on top of other hunters etc... . These hunter ed classes need to devote a section to Hunting Ethics 101...Do's and Dont's. It's getting old quick to be honest.
kjm1022
hunter

Postby mawtrfowler » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:23 pm

This particular wma is mainly salt marsh with not much accesible land. Opening day of pheasant was crazy over there. Comparable to numbers a large wma would see but in a very small area. I think the state decided to cut back on the birds to get people to stop going there.

mawtrfowler
hunter

Postby Joser06 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:31 pm

mawtrfowler wrote:This particular wma is mainly salt marsh with not much accesible land. Opening day of pheasant was crazy over there. Comparable to numbers a large wma would see but in a very small area. I think the state decided to cut back on the birds to get people to stop going there.

Are they still stocking this place before the end of legal light like they did last year? I stopped pheasant hunting there because I watched legit 12 people waiting for the stocking truck last year to blast them out of the crates...
Joser06
hunter

Postby mawtrfowler » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:39 am

I'm not sure when they're stocking it now. This past weekend it appeared that they released all the birds from from the cornfield and not many of them either.

mawtrfowler
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting