what do you guys think about pushing for a later ....

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, Tim D, HeritageHunter, MIKE J., JoeP

what do you guys think about pushing for a later ....

Postby DieselDog » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:40 pm

coastal or central duck season....seems last few years I have seen more ducks than geese while hunting the late goose season...spoke with the bird biologist at the state and he said he is open to suggestion...ie...with only 6000 duck hunters in the state, why two blacks a day...or push for a later late season on ducks...
If it flies, it dies; if it's brown, it's down; if it swims, gaff it!
DieselDog
hunter

Postby badabing1997 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:03 pm

i am all for this.... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
badabing1997
hunter

Postby DieselDog » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:44 am

I guess out of the 6000 actual duck stamp buyers in mass Ty and I are the only ones who care....lol :umm:
DieselDog
hunter

Postby Mike M. » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:38 pm

I like the season the way it is for the most part. We just need winter weather during the winter. They could probably shorten the first split of the coastal season by a couple of days and add then add them on in January but that's not too big a deal to me. I like the 1st split in October as it gives old guys and young kids that can't take the brutal cold of January a chance to get out and experience waterfowling when its not cold out. I would like to see the brant season adjusted so that those of us north of boston could have a chance at shooting a brant. They are long gone by the time the season starts every year. I highly doubt we will see an increase on blacks when the rest of the flyway is complaining and constantly talking about putting restrictions on blacks. Correct me if I am wrong but don't the feds have to change the frameworks to allow states to shoot 2 blacks before the states can make the change?

I'm sure more people care but keep in mind this is a small site and there's not that many people from MA on here yet.

One thing that would be possible that other states do is to have a special one day duck season a couple of weeks after regular duck season ends like around this time for example. The marshes are loaded with birds now it would be a quite the shoot.
Mike M.
hunter

Postby badabing1997 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:17 am

GLOBAL WARMING.....people used to hunt birds when they were here and now they are later and later every year.....
badabing1997
hunter

Postby DieselDog » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:42 am

MIke,
I see yourt logic but I have to argue one point...that is the weather, the past couple seasons we have not had any brutally cold weather to push any birds south it is only in the latter part of January that we have seen any cold weather...October I understand is fun to hunt and I agree it is nice to take advantage of the warm weather fowl...but we don't need that early coastal season...keep the Berkshire season the same and central for that matter, but lets have those coastal days later so thewre is more of a chance to see mallards and blacks in the marsh and not just a few local blacks..
Secondly H. (the bird biologist) told me that he has been trying to get two black ducks around here for years...it is the federal framework that stops this...we should write letters and try to get a change, it is too bad that because of the warmewr weather trends the birds don't go as far south, that is not our problem...

Mississippi historically kills more birds than any state in the country, therefore they have the most influence, they have seen a decline in bird numbers as of the last couple years, they are pushing to reduce the seasion from 60 to 50 days....H told me there are plenty of birds but they are not going as far south as they used to...are we gonna let Mississippi govern our already short duck season...come on lets band trogether, unite write a letter and kill some black ducks....lol :salude:
DieselDog
hunter

Postby Mike M. » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:51 pm

I'd be for shortening the first coastal season so that we could gain those days in January but I wouldn't want to lose it completely. The first couple of days we usually have full limits between teal and local birds. I find teal a blast to hunt. I wouldn't want to lose out on the nice weather and teal. They are usually mostly if not all gone by the time the 2nd coastal season starts. Unless bird numbers suddenly drop, I would be against shortening the days from 60 to 50.

Even though we have little influence compared to our friends down south, it is nice to know that Mr. Huessman is willing to listen to what us mass duck hunters have to say. Great thread. :salude:
Mike M.
hunter

Postby badabing1997 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:01 pm

you are so right when you say we have less influence than our buddies to the south.....i love early season hunting....well i gues i love all hunting but we could just make the break in the middle a little longer...honestly if we were hunting now it would be a joke.....there are soooooo many ducks around...its a joke....you could limit out with a pellet gun
anyway we dont wanna give up early season because i like shooting teal and i love shootin woodies.....and we all know how quickly they can come and go....myself..i rarely hunt ducks when i can get a crack at a deer with a gun but i also love the christmas hunt....
so here is my perfect world....open 5 days later initially and then an extra 9 days in the break and get it all back at the endwhich should have us with hot barrels til feb 1st
only in a perfect world like i said..............lol
badabing1997
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting