Sudbury River in Wayland

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, JoeP, Tim D, MIKE J., HeritageHunter

Sudbury River in Wayland

Postby Larry Hunter » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:24 pm

I live in Virginia now, but I will be back to visit family in Wayland for Thanksgiving and was thinking of giving the Subdury River a try in Wayland. I only got into duck hunting after moving to the mid-Atlantic and the thought of hunting in the town I grew up in is pretty exciting.

For those that have hunted the Sudbury, any tips? What can you expect to see out there? How crowded is it? the river seems pretty narrow with lots of long grass. Is there reasonable ground to stand on or are you shooting from a boat? I will have access to a canoe and kayak. Any recomendations of one vs the other? Any and all help is very much appreciated.
Larry Hunter
Newb

Re: Sudbury River in Wayland

Postby kjm1022 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:13 am

I am almost certain that the Sudbury River is part of the Oxbow NWR. Only parts of it are huntable and there is a map to outline it as well as a permit you need to purchase. I could be wrong but I think that's the case.
kjm1022
hunter

Postby McManusClan5 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:48 am

Yep, it's part of the Great Meadows NWR (with Oxbow is part of the same Eastern MA NWR Complex). Google Great Meadows NWR and you can get all the regs and a map and such. Need to register online and get a parking permit, also online.

I haven't hunted the Sudbury River yet, so can't say much about it, other than you have to be pretty sure about what parts allow hunting and that you're far enough from houses (looks like some overlap). This is MA, so you should be sure you're squared away...

Good luck!

Matt
McManusClan5
hunter

Postby Larry Hunter » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:27 pm

Thank you. I appreciate the advice, and looking forward to getting out there and slaying some ducks.
Larry Hunter
Newb

Postby McManusClan5 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:56 am

Let us know how it goes!

And exactly where you did it... :sarcmark: :lol3:

Drop me a PM if you want to do some scouting - I'm up for some time in the kayak to figure the area out.

Matt
McManusClan5
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting