Duck Hunting Forum banner

Seal shot dead

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Atlantic Junkie 
#1 ·
Just heard from my bro-in-law that a seal was found dead on Scusset in Sandwich with bird shot in its head. Apparently had been around the ramp in Plymouth and was tagged and removed from the harbour, as it was drawing a crowd of watchers. Ended up dead 10 days later (same seal, as the tag was there). I took some heat as a bird hunter about it...

Anyone have more details on the story?

If true, how'd something like this happen? Uncool, and unfortunately gives all hunters a REALLY bad rep. The anti's don't need additional ammo...

M

#2 ·
pisses me off :pissed: Just because it was "Bird shot" the public thinks automatically it was by a hunter. It could have been anyone!

I'm curious to see if it was steel or lead shot.

#3 ·
i read about it and they said it could have been shot in canada last spring and definitely wasnt shot recently....it was moved from the harbor ramp out to scussetbeach...and it was shot lond before then and only 2 or 3 pellets were even found in it...anyhow i would never shoot a seal but once they show up your inshore stripers will disappear along with all the other tasty critters

#4 ·
Agreed that a seal is a poor omen for fishing, although they're pretty cool to watch popping up in the dekes.

Thanks for the info that it was shot previously - I really didn't like to think that one of "us" would take a shot at a seal, and was glad to hear that it was an old injury and likely didn't cause death (although I still can't imagine takin' a shot at one). I had read one account since posting earlier that said the shot could have caused an infection that helped lead to death, but will await the vet's report (it's apparently being autopsied).

Anyway, thought it was an interesting story. Still PO'd that hunters get blamed automatically (although we usually are the ones with the shotguns...). Bad press is bad press, deserved or not. :pissed:

M

PS - why steel or lead - do they still use lead in Canada?

#5 ·
M, I was curious on what type of shot because it might point the source of the shot to begin with,

If it was steel shot then I would think it was quite possible that a waterfowler was concerned with a seal getting too close to his dog on a retrieve.

If it was lead shot (cheapest to purchase by the average Joe) then these are few possibilities.

Marina's are seeing more and more seals using the floats as a preferred areas to haul out and they do make a mess and can be aggressive if a boat owner that keeps their boat in the water year round and lives aboard might see these seals as a nuisance when they try to go to and from the boat. Plus the bubblers around the boat keep the water open when the ice sets in the harbor allowing the seals easy access.

Commercial Fishermen hate it when they return to the mooring only to find thier "skiffs" swamped because of seals trying to haul out on them while they are out fishing. A select few individuals dont think twice about trying to change a seals mind with a shot as they approach.

#6 ·
The autopsy revealed that it died from pnumonia, the few pellets found by X-Ray were superficial and healed over. In Canada it is legal for commercial fishermen to shoot seals!

What pissed me off more tonight was that on another forum for Mass Fishermen a guy from walpole was quick to point out that it Was probably another unconcious DRUNKEN Sea Duck Hunter!!!!

#7 ·
Drunk sea duck hunters, as opposed to a drunk FISHERMAN. :umm: Now THAT'S funny. I spend more time on the water in the summer than during the hunting season (just the way work plays out, unfortunately), and I see a whole lot more bait dunkers into the sauce before noon than I've EVER seen/heard sea-duckers.

Anyway, wrt the seal, one seal really isn't a big deal either way, in truth. However, given that they're cute, fuzzy and decidedly not in season, shooting at one in the lower 48 can only give us a black eye as hunters (not that I'm saying one of us did, mind you).

Doesn't help that the media likes to hop on it as a sensational story, either. Seems that they like to report things as they want to see them, rather than as they are. Some objectivity. Happens with aviation as well (don't let me get started...).

Well, thought it was an interesting story. Thanks for the info (always better to have more).

Matt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.