Out of state firearms regs?

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, JoeP, Tim D, MIKE J., HeritageHunter

Out of state firearms regs?

Postby native brookie » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:29 pm

My sister has just moved to the North Shore and wants to host Christmas this year. I have a long standing Christmas salt marsh duck hunt tradition.

Two questions:

(1) What do I need as a non-resident to possess and travel with a shotgun and ammo? Am I ok with just a non-resident license?

(2) Other than being too close to houses, do I need to worry about no-discharge rules applying to salt marsh areas? Here in Maine, the few town ordinances allow me to hunt tidal waters. (I'd love to go out to Parker River refuge, but that's too far.)

And finally, would it be worth it to haul a canoe, a few decoys and my shotgun down for a quick afternoon hunt?

I'm kind of relishing the idea of making her live with a camo canoe in the driveway . . . . . but wouldn't do it unless there was a decent chance to find some birds.
native brookie
hunter

Re: Out of state firearms regs?

Postby MIKE J. » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:05 pm

1, YES a non resident hunting license will cover you. Bring any ammo because you cannot buy in MA.

2, As long as you are 500' or greater from an occupied structure and 150' feet from a paved road you will be legal. Make sure it isnt a WildLife refuge.

I think it would be good idea to bring some yard art to your sisters :yes:
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting