Hockomock Swamp

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, JoeP, Tim D, MIKE J., HeritageHunter

Hockomock Swamp

Postby Maurry » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:04 pm

Any tips for hunting this area? I've never been there.

Maurry
Maurry
hunter

Re: Hockomock Swamp

Postby JTR » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:05 pm

Scout it out? :lol3: :hammer:
Ruger's Retrieves: I lost count
JTR
hunter

Postby Maurry » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:10 pm

Thanks, JTR, as scouting is always good. I was hoping, however, for more specific advice such as "you'll find mostly wood ducks and teal...few big ducks so far."
Maurry
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:36 pm

Maurry wrote:I was hoping for more specific advice such as "you'll find mostly wood ducks and teal...few big ducks so far."

nothing but coot in there. :sarcmark:

Maurry, youre gonna have a hard time getting anybody to share info like that...especially publicly. Most people do not mention specific spots, even if it is a wma. You really do have to scout it. Good luck and be safe.
"I can't believe how strange it is, to be anything at all"
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Maurry » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:26 am

Thanks, Professor, for taking the time to reply and be helpful. I fully realize no one would want to share hot spots. Thus, I don't know exactly what I was hoping for. The people in this chat room seem so friendly, though, so perhaps something along the line of "Don't use northern parking lot as water there is not navigable more than 50 feet from shore." Or perhaps, "be aware of nearby houses near the eastern side." At any rate, the advice to scout and scout and scout some more is good for just about any hunting I have ever done.
Maurry
hunter

Postby SMSovis » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:24 am

Maurry wrote:Thanks, Professor, for taking the time to reply and be helpful. I fully realize no one would want to share hot spots. Thus, I don't know exactly what I was hoping for. The people in this chat room seem so friendly, though, so perhaps something along the line of "Don't use northern parking lot as water there is not navigable more than 50 feet from shore." Or perhaps, "be aware of nearby houses near the eastern side." At any rate, the advice to scout and scout and scout some more is good for just about any hunting I have ever done.

My suggestion to you is some Saturday when you are done hunting go scout it yourself. People are not going to give info they took the time to go get. Also the info you do get usually isn't so hot just so you know.
"Crime doesn't pay, and weasels finish last."
SMSovis
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:41 pm

Maurry, you have gotten good advice on this one. I know it isnt exactly what you wanted to hear. Like smsovis and jtr said, get out and scout it one saturday after a hunt...or even better, get out there sunday morning before sunrise, bring a thermos of coffee, get hid, and watch them fly. Then, feel free to pm me an accurate report. :sarcmark:

I guarantee if you learn where the X is youre not gonna want to share it publicly on here, nor should you ever do that. Scouting is fun. Enjoy it. It is part of the deal.

Here is some extra advice. When first looking at a potential area to hunt, use bing maps as opposed to google. Their photos are from when the leaves are all off the trees. It makes it a little easier. Still, nothing beats getting out there and seeing it firsthand. If I had any info like, use such and such launch, I would share it in a pm...but I am not very familiar with that area.

Good luck, and keep posting in here. Dont get discouraged; just keep at it and learn as you go.
"I can't believe how strange it is, to be anything at all"
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby bigcat » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:42 pm

Watch out for the ghosts and demons...they say the place is haunted?
I have seen some strange looking characters in there. :eek:
bigcat
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting