Under the X

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, JoeP, Tim D, MIKE J., HeritageHunter

Under the X

Postby Boats84 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:38 am

Tried a new spot today. I had scouted it over the past week or so and saw a good number of mallards, a few geese and some blacks. I got in and set up and instantly got rewarded by a couple of blacks that about knocked my hat off and landed two feet away. I held off shooting not wanting to get my black right away. Unfortunately this continued with about thirty to forty blacks landing literally on top of me over the next 15 minutes with not a mallard to be seen. So with about forty black ducks literally swimming at my feet so tight that even if i made them jump I don't think I could have singled one out. I decided to kick back and enjoy. They put on quite a show of feeding calls, hails and duck courting.
I knew it was good to be on the X but didn't realize it was possible to be under it.
After about 15 minutes of the black duck show, I had 5 does followed by a good size 8 pointer walk the edge of the bog and start feeding 50 yards away.
As the light got better the ducks made me and jumped. I came home empty handed with a clean gun but got a good show.
Boats84
hunter

Re: Under the X

Postby Professor_Leakey » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:54 am

cool report. sounds like a fun hunt despite not taking a shot. congrats on showing that kind of restraint. :thumbsup:
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Re: Under the X

Postby Joser06 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:32 pm

Its good to hear you thought about taking the shot and held back. Its wicked tough with the black duck limit being 1. At least as a learning experience, you got to see exactly where the ducks wanted to be and how they act. That in itself would make the day a success. I had a deer cruising around in the woods behind me today also though I never saw him. sounded like a freight train running around.
Joser06
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting