Friday and Saturday hunts...the woody's last stand

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, JoeP, Tim D, MIKE J., HeritageHunter

Friday and Saturday hunts...the woody's last stand

Postby briggsy » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:14 am

o.g. last stand woodies.JPG
woody's last stand
You know, waterfowl hunting is funny...not many other outdoor sports can make you go from hero to zero back to hero then back to zero and then questioning why you are even out there to experiencing something remarkable...all in about 5 minutes...just a thought. Anyway, friday i set up in a cove i really never hunted before, on the advice of my brother, i went. I set up, two mojos and 5 dekes...right after shooting light, a drake buzz's the cove, one quack, and he turns on a dime and proceeds to try to land on the mojo...it caught me off guard...boom, boom, boom...off he flies away, i was so distraught I went back and forth in the boat 3 times debating on just calling it off....but i talked myself off the ledge and stayed...exactly 1 hour later, i caught a glimpse of something over the cove...one quack, and boom....double curl drake on the ice....i had to chase him across the entire pond to get him....but it was all worth it!! long story....sorry.....

Saturday was a little different...we had seen the last stand of woodies in our river spot as late as thursday evening....hoping to they would stick around for saturday morning. well...4 of us had a great shoot spread out all over the river section...8 woodies...all male except for one...i think we caught them a few days before heading south....it was awesome...
Attachments
solo drake.JPG
totally redeemed myself
solo drake.JPG (58.02 KiB) Viewed 399 times
briggsy
hunter

Re: Friday and Saturday hunts...the woody's last stand

Postby Professor_Leakey » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:25 am

nice report, briggsy...congrats
"I can't believe how strange it is, to be anything at all"
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Re: Friday and Saturday hunts...the woody's last stand

Postby Joser06 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:28 pm

Cool to see there are a few wood ducks around still. Great looking mallard. Congrats
Joser06
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting