Reward for nasty weather

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, HeritageHunter, JoeP, Tim D, MIKE J.

Reward for nasty weather

Postby Boats84 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:23 pm

Rain was steady and wind was SW at about 15-20 when I paddled out and dropped a small spread of dekes. Right about 10 minutes before the season the monsoon started and the wind picked up to at least 20-30. There were a couple of gusts that felt stronger. When my lifejacket and rifle case attempted to abandon ship in wind, I started second guessing my decision and was thinking of bailing. But just then a hen mallard made me made me an offer I couldn't refuse. After recovering her and returning to blind without capsizing, I decided to stick it out. Had quite a few blacks come close but I held off.
Then at about 0830-0900ish the sun broke through, the rain stopped and the wind dropped to 10-15. It was like a second sunrise for the ducks. Everything was up and moving. I got two GWT on one shot and finally pulled the trigger on a black and for this I was rewarded with my first duck band.
My porch looks like a red neck laundromat and my fingers are still all shriveled up but it was well worth the wind and rain. Image
Boats84
hunter

Re: Reward for nasty weather

Postby Professor_Leakey » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:49 pm

that is awesome. congrats! you sure did earn it being out there this morning. :beer:
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Joser06 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:57 pm

Congrats on the band. I was out there morning and got the skunk. Where was it banded?
Joser06
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:58 pm

Nice job. Wild weather morning for sure.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:18 pm

Congrats on the bling and thanks for sharing the experience. Wicked weather this morning for sure.
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby McManusClan5 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:37 pm

Nice hunt! Glad you bagged some ducks for the efforts.

I was out this morning, too. Wild weather, indeed - thought I was going to get blown over and my kayak wanted to wander off on it's own. :eek:

There were 2 others set up either side of me this morning. First duck came in right after LST - BOOM BOOM BOOM to my left. Flap flap flap well out in front of me (at least 100 yds) and then it curved back in. BOOM BOOM to my right. Off flies the only duck of the early flight.

Once the skies cleared a couple hours later (there were at least 5 double rainbows over the morning as they cleared - kinda cool) the others had left, and I decided no more ducks would be flying. So, I thought I'd honk once or twice on the goose call (it was about "goose time"). Mother Nature said, "Oh no, you don't know me," and in flies a GWT - clearly drawn to my goose call (oh boy). Boom and the skunk was off the deck. 45' later, bright sun and I am SURE nothing is gonna move, when in flies a hooded merg. Boom/splash. :smile:

2 ducks in range, 3 ducks seen all day - and no other waterfowl. Not one. Weird after this weekend with what seemed like a lot of new birds...

Totally worth it, though, even if I had gotten skunked. I loved the way that weather sucked!

M
McManusClan5
hunter

Postby woodduck14 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:18 pm

Congrats on the band!

And, McManus don't you love it when you get a shot after sitting there all day thinking the skunk was on
Don't tread on me.
woodduck14
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:20 pm

nice a band on a bird other than a mallard, a brant, or a Canada goose, is truly a prize!!!!!

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby Boats84 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:50 pm

It was Banded at Bennett Pond, Duxbury, MA in 2010.
Boats84
hunter

Postby JTR » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:03 am

Over/under on the number of people that just looked up Bennett Pond on Google Earth +/-100?
Ruger's Retrieves: I lost count
JTR
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:05 am

JTR wrote:Over/under on the number of people that just looked up Bennett Pond on Google Earth +/-100?

I'd be surprised if it's listed.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby Boats84 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:29 pm

Sorry about that. Didn't think about burning a spot, should have just put Duxbury.
Boats84
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:17 pm

Boats84 wrote:Sorry about that. Didn't think about burning a spot, should have just put Duxbury.

Boats, I highly doubt you've burned a spot. Like I said, I don't think you'll find any reference to a Bennetts Pond in Duxbury. I think the bander's are using a code word in this situation as it relates to a Duxbury family name. I know exactly where the banding site is and it can't be hunted anyway.

If some one finds a Bennetts Pond reference anywhere for Duxbury, let me know so I can stand corrected.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:53 pm

you usually cant hunt the spots they band birds.....they catch them in the summer!!!

many times they are ponds on a business park or community park...

besides many of us dont hunt mass.

the tool
toolmaker
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:19 pm

toolmaker wrote:you usually cant hunt the spots they band birds.....they catch them in the summer!!!

the tool

This and other banding sites in Duxbury are all done in the heart of winter and in salt marsh environs.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:22 pm

toolmaker wrote:you usually cant hunt the spots they band birds.....they catch them in the summer!!!

the tool

They band ducks starting at the end of the season in January. they have several coastal sites they heavily bait and trap. Your right about some locations being close to developed areas like Quincy & Plymouth. They will band the geese during the molt in August.

What is that pink thingy in your avatar? :biggrin:
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby JTR » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:11 am

Boats84 wrote:Sorry about that. Didn't think about burning a spot, should have just put Duxbury.

Boats- I wasn't trying to be an ass if that's how it came off. I just think that there are a TON of people lurking on these sites. I know I looked up the pond immediately. :lol: Bill is right, I couldn't find a thing about it.
JTR
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:28 am

funny, I have shot maybe 10 ducks that were banded in Ma. , and CT. All were banded between june and sept.

matter of fact the one i shot on the CT opener this year,was banded on 9-23, in CT.

the only bird i can remember being banded in winter, was a Brant banded in NJ.

so i was only applying what i have experienced ....

the tool
toolmaker
hunter

Postby duckstopper333 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:25 am

My understanding, after speaking with H. Heusmann last summer, is that airboat banding for ducks is only done in August and September and is based on the phase of the moon. Any banding done in the winter is for a special project to study black ducks. Geese are done in July when geese are molting.
duckstopper333
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:30 pm

duckstopper333 wrote:My understanding, after speaking with H. Heusmann last summer, is that airboat banding for ducks is only done in August and September and is based on the phase of the moon. Any banding done in the winter is for a special project to study black ducks. Geese are done in July when geese are molting.

Thanks Charlie :thumbsup: I didnt realize all of those coastal bait sites were not part of the state program.
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckstopper333 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:30 pm

Mike J.: I think Heusmann may be in charge, but I thought I read somewhere last year that it's something the state, or states, are doing for the Fed's?

Last season I seem to remember someone on here or the other forum saying they shot a black duck that was banded in January or February.
duckstopper333
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:07 pm

duckstopper333 wrote:Mike J.: I think Heusmann may be in charge, but I thought I read somewhere last year that it's something the state, or states, are doing for the Fed's?

Last season I seem to remember someone on here or the other forum saying they shot a black duck that was banded in January or February.

There is a gang that hunts the bait site regularly. Plenty of banded birds coming back to the marsh before the season ends.
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby JTR » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:54 pm

MIKE J. wrote:
duckstopper333 wrote:Mike J.: I think Heusmann may be in charge, but I thought I read somewhere last year that it's something the state, or states, are doing for the Fed's?

There is a gang that hunts the bait site regularly. Plenty of banded birds coming back to the marsh before the season ends.

I agree.... There are some "real trophies" coming out of that site (assuming that we are thinking about the same group and site). It must be fun seeing birds flopping around in the caged trap, and then shooting then the next day and pretending like they are something special. Not to mention that they are easily viewable on the morning commute into the city.
JTR
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:27 pm

JTR, not quite, there is no trapping until after the season. the same birds do return annually to the same locations for wintering.
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby JTR » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:09 pm

MIKE J. wrote:JTR, not quite, there is no trapping until after the season. the same birds do return annually to the same locations for wintering.

I guess I'm wrong about shooting them the next day. I'd swear that a couple of years ago, they were banding birds during the season at a certain, just south of boston spot. Maybe they didn't think that people would be hunting this spot, ever. Or maybe I'm just wrong. Matt, any input on this one?

The birds definitely return to the same spot. I know for a fact that birds have been taken 100 yards away from the banding site. Its not my type of game, but I guess if jewelry is what you are after, then hunting a banding site is a good place to start. I much prefer shooting a bird that was banded in Canada or Maine, rather than one banded 100 yards away from your spot.
JTR
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting