Good day yesterday, taxidermist trip.

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, JoeP, Tim D, HeritageHunter, MIKE J.

Good day yesterday, taxidermist trip.

Postby Red Suited Iceman » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:54 am

Well got out there yesterday with my 2 buddies, had to break through a quarter inch of ice and slide the ice out of the way to have a hole for the decoys. Legal shoot time comes around and out of nowhere comes a drake mallard, line up on him and boom, one shot and he's down. Had a couple pairs come through and they didn't make it too far. Well we had a surprise visitor, a hefty gray fox, I take it. Finally had a single come through and I whack that, believe it was a hen wigeon. The final bird was a drake mallard my buddy plucked from probably 40 yards up, I didn't see it just heard the shot and watched it come crashing down right in front of me. As I'm retrieving the bird a police officer walks up behind us and we start talking with him. We were doing everything 100% legal and he knew it but as a formality he had to talk to us. He was a real good guy, laughing and joking with us about how people hate hunters and looking at our days work. Even joked if a bird came through he was gonna grab one of our shotguns and take a shot, he was the kind of police officer you want to run into. Off he goes and we call it a morning, only down side to yesterday was putting a stick through the ankle of my waders.... Ohh well successful day regardless!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Red Suited Iceman
hunter

Re: Good day yesterday, taxidermist trip.

Postby McManusClan5 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:00 am

Nice day! :thumbsup:

It's great when the officer is a good guy, which is (I think) most often the case. Not so of many people within earshot of a marsh or river, but the law enforecement folks have always been decent people, IME. Glad it was a good day and good experience with the police!

Matt
McManusClan5
hunter

Postby Joser06 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:15 am

That looks like a really great day! Nice to see some variety other than just mallards too. I believe if the oddball bird is the 3rd bird from the right, you got yourself a drake gadwall. If the wing has 3 or four white feathers in the speculum or has a black bill that would confirm it. The top and bottom birds in the picture below are drake gadwall I got on the last day of coastal last year. The gray fox is handsome too. Are you going to get it full body mounted or just get the hide tanned?

Joser06
hunter

Postby Red Suited Iceman » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:35 am

Thanks Joser, the dark head threw me off and the neck/ shoulder area had identical pattern to the wigeon, but once again I appreciate the clarification! Just getting the pelt done, full body far to pricey. And I don't even know where I would put it in the house.
Red Suited Iceman
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:47 pm

very nice job RSI!! congrats! :beer:
DuckPharm wrote:I'm talking about the pie billed goldeneye.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:10 pm

Yes, very nice indeed. Nice to see you post hunts rather than read hunting posts. :thumbsup:
Baymen Moe
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting