ice?

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, Tim D, HeritageHunter, MIKE J., JoeP

ice?

Postby Professor_Leakey » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:06 pm

havent been out to the spot since last week because of work and school. dealt with some skim ice last week but not bad...few cold nights and a couple warm ones since and i am hoping to get a last minute ice report from the guys in the mass forum. did the rain and somewhat warm temps the past day or so melt off the bit of skim ice on small ponds in central?
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Re: ice?

Postby MIKE J. » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:27 pm

It should be fine for the time being. The water temp is still in the upper 30's in alot of places. After Sunday though things are not looking so good. I hope it ices up good so the birds move to the coast.
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby McManusClan5 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:56 pm

Checked out one of my spots today midday. Ice about a quarter inch still in the shallows, but the deeper/bigger holes were open again. Looks like ice won't be too much an issue for tomorrow at least.

Good luck!

Matt
McManusClan5
hunter

Postby GMC2500HD » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:43 pm

No question it's thick now, played a little pond hockey tonight.30 pack and some painters lights
GMC2500HD
hunter

Postby ChrisR » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:14 pm

Solid every spot I looked at today. Not looking good for the central 2nd half unless the warmer temps melt it up some before this weekend.
ChrisR
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:36 am

Just drove around and checked out some local SE Mass spots in the slush. Was surprised to see more birds than I expected in some of the Central zone, Coastal is loaded with birds. Good Luck
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby GMC2500HD » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:23 pm

Ponds are junk now after the snow/rain and that froze solid on them. Looked at them when i finished plowing today, hope it will melt and refreeze but i think that is unlikely with more snow coming this week.... so much for pond hockey
GMC2500HD
hunter

Postby McManusClan5 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:46 pm

GMC2500HD wrote:Ponds are junk now after the snow/rain and that froze solid on them. Looked at them when i finished plowing today, hope it will melt and refreeze but i think that is unlikely with more snow coming this week.... so much for pond hockey

No hockey and no birds...

Jealous of y'all who can get out on the salt! :)

Hunt 'em up.

Matt
McManusClan5
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:56 pm

saw the neighborhood kids on a local shallow pond today skating. Ice looked rough this morning but managed to smooth out today with the warmer temps.
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ACombs » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:38 pm

Hey Y'all - I'm new to the forum and new to duck hunting. Killed a drake Mallard on my first time out this November and, from that point on, I've been completely addicted (I know you all can relate :smile:). I've been hunting a couple of places in the central zone and, with my complete lack of knowledge of costal hunting, I was hoping to get out and hunt a river that thawed out over the last couple of days. I haven't necessarily seen any birds the last few days and am assuming they've all gone to the coast.... Is there any chance birds will come back into the central zone with this recent thaw or are they gone for the season? Maybe a dumb question but I thought I throw it out there.. Thanks!
ACombs
Newb

Postby MIKE J. » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:45 pm

Welcome, Yes the birds are already coming back to the central zone. I saw several good flocks this evening on a few bogs. Also check any fields that have puddles from the thaw.
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby hipster_hunter » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:36 pm

MIKE J. wrote:Welcome, Yes the birds are already coming back to the central zone. I saw several good flocks this evening on a few bogs. Also check any fields that have puddles from the thaw.

We had a great morning for the Central reopener. Saw two big (6-10) groups of mallards and some mergansers, which I have never seen inland before (and we passed on shooting :tongue: ). We had to hack at some rotten ice with our paddles to get through in places but there was plenty of open water. The warm temps the past few days have been a boon and the rain coming through tomorrow should help even more.

Drove to the coast for the afternoon and also saw tons of birds flying. The Tyvek suits we wore did some serious work blending us in with all the snow! The season is definitely far from over right now.
hipster_hunter
hunter

Postby Akbraun » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:33 pm

Id have to agree . Seen the most birds all season the last few days. A lot of mallards and mergansers. Is it common for mergansers to be inland for along time? Seen them for about a month now. First year duck hunting so just curious.
Akbraun
Newb

Postby GMC2500HD » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:32 pm

Professor_Leakey wrote:havent been out to the spot since last week because of work and school. dealt with some skim ice last week but not bad...few cold nights and a couple warm ones since and i am hoping to get a last minute ice report from the guys in the mass forum. did the rain and somewhat warm temps the past day or so melt off the bit of skim ice on small ponds in central?

Been noticing that myself about the mergansers, i work on a golf course doing grounds and a few weeks ago before it snowed i spotted about a dozen in some of our ponds, very strange because i have never seen them there before, the ponds are packed with mallards now.
GMC2500HD
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting