legal question on duck hunting wmas with pheasant

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, MIKE J., JoeP, HeritageHunter, Tim D

legal question on duck hunting wmas with pheasant

Postby Professor_Leakey » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:22 am

i will probably call the epo's on this for clarification...or perhaps an officer can answer this for me here? the question was posted up in the past but i thought it may be helpful to some to post it again. i want to have a quick duck hunt on thanksgiving morning....but my closeby spots are gonna be locked up with ice. the one place i know close by that i can hunt that morning is a wma stocked with pheasant, making legal shooting time there that day at sunrise?

i read through the past thread on this but i want to make sure i have it correct. from what i read, i can walk out and set up decoys and sit in the blind with an unloaded gun. i just have to wear a hunter orange hat to and from the blind and not shoot until sunrise? am i good to go as long as i abide by this?

thanks for any clarification on this one. be safe out there.
DuckPharm wrote:I'm talking about the pie billed goldeneye.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Re: legal question on duck hunting wmas with pheasant

Postby briggsy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:07 am

yup, that is exactly right....orange in, orange out, and shooting time is sunrise....
briggsy
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:12 pm

thanks, briggys; i appreciate the help...and am very glad to see you posting again. :beer:

now are the patriots gonna put a hurt on the broncos tonight or what!!!??!? cold and windy as hell out there.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Zone11-Dh » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:21 pm

Ya Leakey He's right. I also hunt a wma stocked . I found another way in , because I was questioned by the pheasant guys as to why I was leaving the parking lot before sunrise.
Zone11-Dh
hunter

Postby Mike M. » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:25 pm

I've never understood or liked that regulation. It doesn't make any sense and is not conducive to duck hunters. If shooting hours are 1/2 before sunrise to sunset for waterfowl you should be able to do that anywhere statewide. Just my opinion of course.
A serious reduction in the population of black ducks would mean the end of waterfowl hunting for the majority of the New England sportsmen.

Rachel Carson, 1947
Mike M.
hunter

Postby JTR » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:15 pm

Mike M. wrote:I've never understood or liked that regulation. It doesn't make any sense and is not conducive to duck hunters. If shooting hours are 1/2 before sunrise to sunset for waterfowl you should be able to do that anywhere statewide. Just my opinion of course.

There are a lot of exceptions to the regulations. It is really important for everyone to stay up to date on their laws. For instance, how many people know that every hunting season closes during shotgun deer season, except for waterfowl and coyote?
Ruger's Retrieves: I lost count
JTR
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:00 pm

JTR wrote:
Mike M. wrote:I've never understood or liked that regulation. It doesn't make any sense and is not conducive to duck hunters. If shooting hours are 1/2 before sunrise to sunset for waterfowl you should be able to do that anywhere statewide. Just my opinion of course.

There are a lot of exceptions to the regulations. It is really important for everyone to stay up to date on their laws. For instance, how many people know that every hunting season closes during shotgun deer season, except for waterfowl and coyote?

Yes but coastal is the only zone open for the duration of shotgun deer season.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:40 am

zone11...check your inbox; i sent you a pm
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby JTR » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:11 am

Baymen Moe wrote:
JTR wrote:

Yes but coastal is the only zone open for the duration of shotgun deer season.

True, but the game changes for everyone. That crow that flies over you in the duck blind - illegal to shoot during shotgun deer. That fox that presents you an easy shot - illegal. English sparrows, red squirrels, etc... all illegal. Anyone who doesn't deer hunt might not even bother reading the regulations on them. Definitely a good thing to know going into next week.

There is also that hunter orange requirement as well. Any time you are not in the blind/boat, you need to have 500 square inches of hunter orange on.
JTR
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:39 pm

how about blowing a duck call while sitting with my unloaded gun in a pheasant-stocked wma 12 minutes before sunrise? im guessing that is a no-go but would like some input if you got it. hell, with all the rain tomorrow and 60 degree temps, it may not matter, but i would still like to know.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby JTR » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:48 pm

Professor_Leakey wrote:how about blowing a duck call while sitting with my unloaded gun in a pheasant-stocked wma 12 minutes before sunrise? im guessing that is a no-go but would like some input if you got it. hell, with all the rain tomorrow and 60 degree temps, it may not matter, but i would still like to know.

I believe that even setting decoys is considered an act of duck hunting, but they give you the pass on that one so that you can be set up and ready to go before legal. Blowing a call before legal hunting light probably wouldn't fly... no pun intended.
JTR
hunter

Postby Zone11-Dh » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:41 pm

I guess it depends on who is there and if they report you. I see bow hunters stay pass sunset sometimes where I go and haven't heard of any getting hassled but I don't want to risk a ticket .I stick with the sunrise to sunset . If it's a holiday then I wait until sunrise to go in ,just in case I jump any so I can shoot.
Zone11-Dh
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:02 pm

with today's warm temps and crazy downpours, i think i will be trying one of my regular spots as opposed to the wma....so it may not be an issue this time around. i just have to give myself extra time in the morning in case i need to go to the wma as plan b.

i am hoping much of it melted today and that i can hunt it...and that there are still ducks around, of course.

i cant drive by there now because of some crazy school related deadlines.

good luck to all getting out tomorrow and Happy Thanksgiving. :beer:
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:51 pm

Good Luck, all this rain has made a lot of spots accessible to the ducks. might be a double edge sword.
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting