Massachusetts Sunday Hunting legislation

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, MIKE J., JoeP, HeritageHunter, Tim D

Massachusetts Sunday Hunting legislation

Postby Mike M. » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:58 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rep. Anne Gobi (D) Spencer has once again filed legislation this year to allow Sunday hunting in MA. Now it's time for us to do our part and write or email our state reps and let them know how we feel. You may remember that last year a similar bill was filed by Rep. Gobi but it never made it to the floor for a vote despite receiving a positive recommendation from a legislative study.

Here is a link to House Bill #2315
http://www.mass.gov/legis/bills/hous...df/ht02315.pdf

Here is a link to all the state reps email addresses.

http://www.mass.gov/legis/memmenuh.htm

At some point in the spring a public hearing will be held at the State House. When I get word of the date and time I will add that to this thread.
Mike M.
hunter

Postby DieselDog » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:14 pm

just remember that with sunday hunting comes shorter more spread out seasons, migratory bird hunting only 55 days for ducks and like 50 for geese...per state......one more day in the mix and we have to give up something....duck wise anyway...I don't know about the other species...but I like the idea of sundays just don't like the idea of short sporadic seasons...
If it flies, it dies; if it's brown, it's down; if it swims, gaff it!
DieselDog
hunter

Postby Mike M. » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:33 pm

Just thought I would add a letter that I sent to my rep. Feel free to use this as a template if you'd like.

Dear Representative Garry:

I am writing you today in support of House Bill 2315 which would repeal the state’s Sunday hunting prohibition.

The only day of the week I am able to enjoy my pastime of hunting is on Saturday as I along with most hunters in the commonwealth must work Monday through Friday. Many people nowadays must also work on Saturday in addition to the regular work week leaving them no time to hunt at all. This bill would allow men and women of the Commonwealth that hunt but have to work Monday through Friday and in some cases on Saturday an extra day of the week to hunt with their family and friends.

This legislation would also bring an increase in revenue to the commonwealth both in terms of increasing hunting license sales as well as the dollars that hunters would spend here in MA. Hunters will visit sporting goods stores, gasoline stations, restaurants, motels and more.

Currently, 39 states permit Sunday hunting while 11 states prohibit or heavily restrict it. Sunday hunting provides an additional day in the field, which can be a great opportunity for people who work during the week. Sunday hunting would also bring more money to Massachusetts. Several states, including Maryland and Ohio, have recently eased restrictions on Sunday hunting. Ohio has found that it is the day with the fewest hunting complaints.

I urge you to please support House Bill 2315.

Sincerely,

Mike M.
Mike M.
hunter

Postby seaneen » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:05 pm

Thanks Mike
I sent my rep your letter with my name ,he called me back today(shocker)
and said he would he would support the bill.

seaneen
seaneen
hunter

Postby badabing1997 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:39 pm

we need to hunt later.....when there is ice..... :thumbsup:
badabing1997
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting