Shotgun deer.

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, Tim D, HeritageHunter, MIKE J., JoeP

Shotgun deer.

Postby Baymen Moe » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:41 pm

If you're getting out tomorrow, good luck guys. I'll be hoping for a chance close to home.
Mike J. Tom L was pumped for your invite. Is he joining you tomorrow, I haven't talked to him directly.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Re: Shotgun deer.

Postby JTR » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:11 pm

I'm working tomorrow, but then I have 5 days off to do nothing but hunt. :yes: I'm hoping to take a mixed bag of deer, ducks and sea ducks. Man I really need this vacation.
Ruger's Retrieves: I lost count
JTR
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:36 pm

Wish I was in your shoes Jeff, that sounds like a great week. I have tomorrow off and that's it. Although I could come down with something and call in sick, hmmm :tongue:
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:23 pm

Good Luck everyone. I have the week off :biggrin: Moe, Looking forward to having the Big man along. Hopefully we can get a few deer to head his way. Would be great to get him his first deer.

Everyone be careful, watch out for the other folks, Even on private property with exclusive access you are very likely to run into people who don't care about posted signs and they hunt with disregard to safety too. :no:
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby JTR » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:39 pm

Baymen Moe wrote:Wish I was in your shoes Jeff, that sounds like a great week. I have tomorrow off and that's it. Although I could come down with something and call in sick, hmmm :tongue:

Bill, it really is going to be sweet. I've taken 6 days off in the past 18 months. It's crazy how I appreciate every hour that I get to spend in the woods or in the blind. Go back 2 years, I was hunting every day while running my own business. Now I can't escape the office.

The only thing that sucks is that I know this vacation will be over before I know it. I'll probably be working another 8 months until I get another.
JTR
hunter

Postby spreademandshootem » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:14 am

Was out this morning before work. Shocked how little shooting I heard. One shot around 7:40 was it. Saturday I'm sure will be a different story though.
spreademandshootem
hunter

Postby Jofa » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:32 am

went out this morning but saw no deer (i was lucky enough to see a bunch during archery season but am wanting to bag one w the muzzle loader this season)

while sitting in my stand, I think the ducks in the local swamp were mocking me by doing fly-bys and quacking up a storm. Even the geese did a fly-over, so I will be keeping an eye on them as well!
Jofa
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:29 pm

I had two close encounters this morning, both of which caught me totally off guard, no shots fired. One of our gang did connect from the tree stand though so good for him.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:33 pm

Moe,

I think Tom had fun today, He shot at a Doe on the first Drive! Then his gun jammed ....Slow day overall. 1 Doe for the group. Bumped 5 deer. I will be hunting Otis in the morning. Good Luck everyone.
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Baymen Moe » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:46 pm

Heard about the miss and the jam. I am sure Tom had a great time. He likes the big deer hunts more for the social aspect than anything else. I am sure he is grateful. Good luck at Otis.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby spreademandshootem » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:49 pm

2 deer poached in Marshfield. Antlers chopped. Losers
spreademandshootem
hunter

Postby Bulldog87 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:30 pm

That's ridiculous!!!! I'm not familiar with that area but would live to hunt down the scum and throw them a beating!! Want and waste, this is why hunters get such a bad rep! @******
Bulldog87
hunter

Postby JTR » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:03 pm

spreademandshootem wrote:2 deer poached in Marshfield. Antlers chopped. Losers

More details please.
JTR
hunter

Postby spreademandshootem » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:25 am

2 deer left. Antlers chopped. EPO's are investigating I guess. Happened near a friend construction office and they were trying to see if they could get the guys plates off the cameras.
spreademandshootem
hunter

Postby JTR » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:50 am

Even a make/model would be good. Not a ton of hunters around.
JTR
hunter

Postby Jofa » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:58 am

Bagged this giant yesterday, had a phenomenal hunt!

I've been hunting this particular deer for 3 weeks now, and finally arrowed him at first light yesterday (He turned out to be a 200 pound 9-pointer!) and within 5 minutes I saw him being chased by a pack of about 5 coyotes. It was an incredible sight, he was about 125 yards from my stand, and he would run 30-40 yards and turn and charge the snapping coyotes. They went back and forth a few times and he finally took off out of my sight. I believe he managed to jump a fence and lose the coyotes, because the 'yotes came right back to sniff around where he had been bleeding. I was still in my stand, and made a little whistling / whining noise which perked up their interest and drew them over to me. I arrowed this male coyote right in the shoulder and sent the pack to flight. The yote went right down about 50 yards away, but now I had to find that deer!

The blood trail was a mess, but there were hoof prints of the running battle, which after hours of of "deciphering" appeared to lead through the woods, over a fence, and out through some small fields and homes. I lost the blood trail and searched all the wood lots adjacent to the property and finally zeroed in on the small wood lot that was across the street but in direct line to the buck's original line of flight. Sure enough, he was down in the woods about a hundred yards in from the road. The first shot was just before 7 am and I finally found this great trophy at about 2 pm.

What a Day! What a BEAST! This guy had an arrow pass right through his chest and he still had the strength and will-power to battle a pack of coyotes and run at least 300-400 yards!! As you can probably tell, I am totally psyched I found the deer and got to experience this awesome hunt!
Attachments
IMG_0367b (640x480).jpg
Jofa
hunter

Postby spreademandshootem » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:42 am

nice buck! great high tines
spreademandshootem
hunter

Postby spreademandshootem » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:56 am

anyone doing any drives on the south shore saturday. im sure myles standish will be mayhem. We are probably going to try and push some smaller thicker areas for the ones on the run.
spreademandshootem
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:12 pm

Wow Jofa, what a great hunt, congrats. Very exciting.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby Joser06 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:28 pm

Great deer and story! I am glad you culled a yote too.
Joser06
hunter

Postby HeritageHunter » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:03 pm

Jofa,
Great buck and coyote! Congrats!
Keep the tradition alive and take a kid hunting!!!!

Honor our soldiers. Their sacrifice has given us our freedom.
HeritageHunter
State Moderator

Postby JTR » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:12 pm

Well my shotgun season has been really bland. Only saw two living deer. My buddy shot one buck. Tomorrow is my last day of vacation, so I'm hoping the deer gods help me out, since I hunted the last 5 days straight. I found this today after walking around the woods for 4 hours. I was thinking about taking my last day to duck hunt, since the weather is favorable for that, but finding this and a couple more in the area completely changed my mind. Wish me luck.

rub.JPG
JTR
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:56 pm

good luck, rubs and scrapes are old news by now. Depending on the hunting pressure on the property, most deer are nocturnal this late into the season.
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby JTR » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:59 pm

MIKE J. wrote:good luck, rubs and scrapes are old news by now. Depending on the hunting pressure on the property, most deer are nocturnal this late into the season.

Trust me Mike, any sign of a deer is good news for me right now. :biggrin:

Definitely hunting pressure on this property too.

Walked about 3 miles today. Followed 2 sets of tracks, but never saw a deer..... Off to duck hunt now :biggrin:
Last edited by JTR on Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
JTR
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:36 pm

JTR wrote:
MIKE J. wrote:good luck, rubs and scrapes are old news by now. Depending on the hunting pressure on the property, most deer are nocturnal this late into the season.

Trust me Mike, any sign of a deer is good news for me right now. :biggrin:

Definitely hunting pressure on this property too.

Yeah the rubs mean squat now. If you have pressure during your hunt, sit tight as long as you can. I did my first ever all day sit yesterday. I had only one encounter, another close one. The safety came off but the damn pine tree came between me and the small doe, story of my deer life.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Next

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting