Shotgun deer.

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, MIKE J., JoeP, HeritageHunter, Tim D

Re: Shotgun deer.

Postby SMSovis » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:43 am

Not bad for a few hours of hunting Saturday. Missed a nicer buck earlier on in the morning but this guy tried to pull the statue move but was seen... :smile:

"Crime doesn't pay, and weasels finish last."
SMSovis
hunter

Postby Jofa » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:23 am

Nice deer SMSovis, Congrats!

As for seeing more deer, I would agree that many of the deer are now nocturnal, especially the mature bucks. to combat this, i think it is key to:

a) get your stand in a good spot by scouting early in the season and leave it there. Dont move it, dont walk around the area AT ALL if you can help it. If you want to hunt a different spot on the property, purchase ANOTHER stand and leave it at that other spot. Moving a stand or walking around 'scouting during the season' is the fastest way to burn a spot by scenting the place up.

b) Use scent control clothes, or if u dont have the expensive scent-lock gear, keep your clothes clean of human / household scents and use a cover spray to conceal yourself. I also spray a 'curiosity' scent on my boots when i enter the woods and once in my stand, have seen deer sniffing and following my footsteps looking for whatever made the scent.

c) get into that stand VERY early, ULTRA quietly, and without spooking the deer that are nearby in the dark. I see the VAST majority of deer at the very edge of first and last light, and often found they are within a stones throw of me when i am walking into my stand. If it takes you half an hour + to walk a 150 yards to the stand, so be it, if u spook deer walking faster then you have wasted your whole morning - so get there extra early and creep in to the stand.
Jofa
hunter

Postby spreademandshootem » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:13 am

IMHO I think people in eastern mass get too worked up about scent control. Being from such a suburbanized area the deer are used to the sounds and smells of people and is almost a security situation to them. You read a good amount of articles about this and it seems more of a marketing scheme than anything and may be applicable to more rural areas. I've consistently shot one or more deer for the last 8 years and never use any spray or scent clothing or anything. If I am setting up a stand and plan to sit for 2+ hours I make sure to use a tree I can get my climber up around 25'.

Spend less time in walmart buying gimmicks and more time looking for sign, funnels, tree species changes, overgrown log trails, and the nastiest/thorniest/thickest cover you can find and cut a narrow path in during the offseason so that when everyone is running around the woods like idiots your there waiting for them when they go to hide.

just my 2 cents
spreademandshootem
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:27 pm

spreadem, I have to agree with you. The area I hunt is fairly small, 200 acres and bordered by homes all around. The deer are definately de "scentsitized" to a certain extent. But, going the extra effort to control some scent issues is smart. That being said, I have a guy here that goes into the woods wreaking of booze and butts after a full day at work and usually get's more than his share. NO, it's not me. :lol3:

JTR, what did you do? Ducks or bucks?
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:31 pm

Baymen Moe wrote:I have a guy here that goes into the woods reeking of booze and butts after a full day at work and usually get's more than his share. NO, it's not me. :lol3:

sounds like my dream job. they hiring? congrats on the deer smsovis. :thumbsup:
DuckPharm wrote:I'm talking about the pie billed goldeneye.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby JTR » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:23 am

Baymen Moe wrote:JTR, what did you do? Ducks or bucks?

I tried to follow some tracks in the snow in the AM. Found some fresh ones, but they were tough to follow once they were off the beaten path. Headed home, picked up the dog and drove over to a duck spot that I thought might be good with the crappy weather. Had a slow pick of mallards. Ended up with 3 and my damn gun jammed on a gimme limit. There were some geese flying too, but I couldn't manage to knock any down. All things considered, it was a soaking wet, but fun end to my vacation. Now, its back to 50 hour work weeks. :hammer:
Ruger's Retrieves: I lost count
JTR
hunter

Postby Jofa » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:07 am

spreademandshootem wrote:IMHO I think people in eastern mass get too worked up about scent control.

I used to think that too when I was starting out, and while I'm not sold on all the fancy 'scent-lock' gear either, there's no doubt that scent control plays a big part in getting close to higher quality deer.

I used to shoot whatever came down the trail - because when i wore 'street' clothes, I only saw a couple deer a year. As I spent more time in the woods, and talked to serious bow hunters, I found that to get closer to the bigger, mature deer, you have to go the extra step. Taking these extra steps has gotten me close to deer almost every time I go into the woods, has allowed me the luxury of passing on well over a dozen 'lesser-quality' deer this year, and allowed me to choose to harvest the deer I want at the time I want.

best of luck out there
Jofa
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:22 am

I agree on not getting sucked into gizmo market! But scent control is still key to seeing more deer. One of the must have items in my opinion is a quality pair of rubber boots. Only used for hunting and never worn except to and from the stand. Years ago I used to watch deer coming in and when they reached the path I had walked down they would more often than not lock up. Then I started wearing rubber boots and right away noticed the deer not locking up and coming in all the way in a more relaxed manner.
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SMSovis » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:02 pm

I have always wondered about all the scent lock clothing etc.... Glad to hear other peoples opinions...
SMSovis
hunter

Postby spreademandshootem » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:48 pm

I don't disagree that it can help I have had it before and been successful. You talk to people that have never shot a deer but are sure to spend an hour getting spray and all that. I find that personally since I like to get deep into the woods with my climber on my back and then climb up 25' with my stuff that by the time I am sitting and ready that I am sweating my b*lls off.I think that trying to get up an extra 5' is going to prove more helpful than the scent lok. I agree that getting the more trophy bucks is a chess over checkers game. I have always been an advocate of finding funnels and being patient in bow season and slow and methodical pushes during gun.

MY question for the scent doctors is don't you wonder that if you are spraying your clothes, and using scentless soap that its negated by the fact that you exhale every few seconds(assuming your not chewing apples all day)?
spreademandshootem
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:52 pm

I dont use "scent eliminator spray " anymore. Didnt really see a difference in deer behavior and most have a unique odor which over time I believe deer begin to associate with danger with so many hunters in the woods. I believe no cover scent / deer attractant is the best route these days. I wash my clothes in Baking soda and hang them to dry in the woods in my back yard for several days then I will place them in a large ziploc bag with some leaf litter/ and a little dirt from the woods. I usually have enough outfits for 4 days of hunting before I have to re wash them. As far as sweating up a storm, I sweat when it is 30 out :sad: I will change into my hunting clothes in the parking area and carry in my outer wear and jackets etc strapped to my stand no matter how cold it is. When I get to my stand location I will climb the tree then cool off until i am dry then I take a few scent free baby wipes and wipe down my head/neck/hands then place the dirty wipe into a ziploc baggy and seal, then i put on my outer wear. Sounds like alot of work but it isnt. As far as exhailing there isnt much you can do other than maintain good oral hygeine and hope the steam keeps rising !
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Baymen Moe » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:34 pm

MIKE J. wrote:As far as exhailing there isnt much you can do other than maintain good oral hygeine and hope the steam keeps rising !

Or Gargle with Special Golden Estrous. :lol3:
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:50 pm

Baymen Moe wrote:
MIKE J. wrote:As far as exhailing there isnt much you can do other than maintain good oral hygeine and hope the steam keeps rising !

Or Gargle with Special Golden Estrous. :lol3:

:thumbsup: Tiffany highly recommends that :tongue: after all, It's the Gold Standard!
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Maurry » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:10 pm

As far as your breath goes, I suggest that you not eat meat for about three days before going hunting. It may be possible deer can detect predators by the odor of meat protein on their breath. I suggest this because I believe that Ishi was careful not to eat meat before hunting.

Maurry
Maurry
hunter

Postby JTR » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:16 pm

Maurry wrote:As far as your breath goes, I suggest that you not eat meat for about three days before going hunting. It may be possible deer can detect predators by the odor of meat protein on their breath. I suggest this because I believe that Ishi was careful not to eat meat before hunting.

Maurry

That is over the top. :yes: believable, but ironic as well.
Ruger's Retrieves: I lost count
JTR
hunter

Postby spreademandshootem » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:43 am

I heard venison jerky makes them think they have friends around.
spreademandshootem
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:25 pm

spreademandshootem wrote:I heard venison jerky makes them think they have friends around.

:yes:
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Baymen Moe » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:51 pm

Yahoo, got frigid Friday off to chase deer. Got the mouthwash on standby. Pepperoni pizza and Bud tonight... :lol3:
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:11 pm

Baymen Moe wrote:Yahoo, got frigid Friday off to chase deer. Got the mouthwash on standby. Pepperoni pizza and Bud tonight... :lol3:

I hope your using the Gold Standard................... :wink: Good Luck !
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Professor_Leakey » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:23 pm

good luck tomorrow, baymen. i havent hunted since thanksgiving because i am neck deep in paperwork. turned in my Master's portfolio today. i can see the finish line!

maurry, glad to see you posting again. did you get out for ducks with your son?
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Maurry » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:07 pm

No, Professor Leakey, we weren't able to make it. I've only been pheasant hunting a couple of times although a nice guy and excellent water fowler with whom I went out on opening day invited me out to the Berkshires this week. I planned to go, but all of sudden, got jammed and could not go. Such is life.

Maurry
Maurry
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:14 pm

Still time, Maurry, although with this cold you will likely have to head to the coast, and conditions seem like theyre gonna be tough. Seems like it could be a nasty winter. Gonna buy a new set of blades for my auger.

Did you get out for pheasant with your son? If not, i hope you get to spend some time with him in the field. :beer:
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby spreademandshootem » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:47 am

Got out this AM. Very loud walking.

I did a small push to my old man. Kicked two up that he heard, I never saw them or heard, but they took a different run than the one he was on. Good luck to anyone that thinks the are going to get a shot being the pusher until the fresh snow falls tomorrow. Got a few things to deal with in middle of the day tomorrow but hopefully I will get out in both the am or pm. Everyone going to get out for a little on the shotgun finale?
spreademandshootem
hunter

Postby SMSovis » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:04 am

We are going to be back at it again with more guys :biggrin:
SMSovis
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:50 am

Squat this morning, heard one walking, that's it. Back at it tomorrow.
Baymen Moe
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting