What's the best ammo for duck/goose?

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, HeritageHunter, JoeP, Tim D, MIKE J.

What's the best ammo for duck/goose?

Postby Bulldog87 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:12 am

I am currently using # 2 shot with a 1550 fps, I seem to be missing an awful lot of ducks with it, as far as the geese they are dropping pretty good, just looking for a good and accurate in between ammo.is there only steel shot out there now? Any other substitute. arterial for lead something good and heavy? Any thoughts and comments will be greatly appreciated.
Bulldog87
hunter

Re: What's the best ammo for duck/goose?

Postby woodduck14 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:52 am

I shoot #2's with a 1550 fps as well. I don't have any trouble shooting those, make sure you are leading the bird enough.
There's a brand called Hevi Metal/ hevi shot, a little more pricey, it's tungsten. I haven't found any advantage to it. It's all about how your gun patterns with different loads. I have a brand and shot size and I stick to it. Take some time in the off season to see what works best for you then buy boxes of it.
Don't tread on me.
woodduck14
hunter

Postby SMSovis » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:54 am

I have found that the slower Xpert's pattern better in my gun.
"Crime doesn't pay, and weasels finish last."
SMSovis
hunter

Postby PghDuckHunter » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:36 pm

I use Heavy Metal #2 in the 3.5 inch with a med range (modified) Heavy Shot choke. This patterns well for me with ducks and for close range geese. I would guess if you are dropping geese and not ducks you are using a full or modified choke. The #2 at 1550 fps should have no issues with ducks. Pattern your gun with the choke at the desired range and see what you get. Loosen it up, if you want more ducks or figure out how to shotgun better with a more appropriate lead for ducks.

There is tons of info on this in the general forums....

Good luck.
PghDuckHunter
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:43 pm

I prefer the Hevi-Metal 3" #2's during the late season and #3's for the first part of the season for everything. I used Hevi shot this year for Turkey and dropped a big tom in his tracks at 48 yards. Very impressed with the hevi shot/metal loads and is worth the extra money. Like what was said already, nothing beats time at the range patterning your gun with different loads and chokes.
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby poor_duck » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:17 pm

hi from my experience i will tell you this see the Patterning of Your Gun or you not leading them enough i only shoot 1550 and i shoot allot so i bye the cheapest i can find i shoot Winchester xpert 1550 #4 for early season and #2 for late season and i have the proof :)
Attachments
dannw.jpg
danw.jpg
Last edited by poor_duck on Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
poor_duck
hunter

Postby JTR » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:57 am

poor_duck wrote:hi from my experience i will tell you this check the penetration of your gun or you not leading them enough i only shoot 1550 and i shoot allot so i bye the cheapest i can find i shoot Winchester xpert 1550 #4 for early season and #2 for late season and i have the proof :)

And by penetration of your gun, I think he means patterning. I'd hate to see what penetration of the gun is. :eek:
Ruger's Retrieves: I lost count
JTR
hunter

Postby poor_duck » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:13 pm

JTR wrote:
poor_duck wrote:hi from my experience i will tell you this check the penetration of your gun or you not leading them enough i only shoot 1550 and i shoot allot so i bye the cheapest i can find i shoot Winchester xpert 1550 #4 for early season and #2 for late season and i have the proof :)

And by penetration of your gun, I think he means patterning. I'd hate to see what penetration of the gun is. :eek:

thank you for the correction
poor_duck
hunter

Postby HeritageHunter » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:08 pm

Investing the time to pattern your gun is money and time well spent. I have patterned every gun and barrel combination I have. I was buying the Black Cloud ammo when I first began. Had good results, but after patterning my gun I found I got better shot density with Kent Faststeel. Stuff is half as much money and I am crippling fewer birds.
Keep the tradition alive and take a kid hunting!!!!

Honor our soldiers. Their sacrifice has given us our freedom.
HeritageHunter
State Moderator

Postby Quack-Blaster » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:33 am

As everyone else has mentioned, patterning is huge. I shoot Spectra Shot ammo which is 3" #2 with 1400 FPS and have clean kills with both ducks and geese. Depending on where I'm hunting and the conditions I bring a few chokes into the blind. I would suggest trying different chokes at the trap/skeet range to see how you pattern, then try and apply that to your hunting scenario.
Early in the mornin watch ducks fly, bead on my shotgun watch ducks die!
Quack-Blaster
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:55 am

QB
I have used Spectra shot last year and had great results. I like the colored shot for when you are hunting in a group and 2 or more hunters shoot a banded bird, The color will ID the actual owner of the band.
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting