finally a report

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, JoeP, Tim D, HeritageHunter, MIKE J.

finally a report

Postby Mike M. » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:21 pm

Hi Folks,

Hope you guys are having a great season. I finally got out over Thanksgiving. Had a few good hunts. Went out on black friday morning in the marsh. Started off great getting 3 birds with 3 shots. 2 gadwalls, and a drake mallard.

Since I hadn't been out much this season, I brought some sea duck decoys with me and decided to give them a try mid morning. Glad I did as the birds were still flying some. I bagged a few drake eiders including a banded one. Bird was banded in 2010 in Nova Scotia, Canada. Very cool!

I went out saturday afternoon for divers. Had a good hunt bagging a few buffleheads and 2 bluebills. The bluebills were a pleasant surprise as we just don't see many here anymore. They used to be common birds here in my dad and uncle's era, but today not so much.

Then, at the end of the day I had a very cool experience with a snowy owl! I was sitting in the boat about 20 minutes before sunset. Just day dreaming, not really paying attention. All of a sudden, I look up, and in front of me are yellow eyes and talons. The snowy owl was about 5-7' from my face and was just about to land on my boat blind! Wow! I was startled and must have jumped. The bird flared. It was so close I felt the wind from it's wing beat. What a cool experience. Here are a few pics from last weekend. Didn't get any pics of the snowy but it will be be in my mind forever. one of those great experiences you just don't forget.

Here are a few pics of my birds friday and saturday.
Attachments
1420289_10100156864624010_791982267_n.jpg
1450219_10100156874384450_1748347078_n.jpg
A serious reduction in the population of black ducks would mean the end of waterfowl hunting for the majority of the New England sportsmen.

Rachel Carson, 1947
Mike M.
hunter

Re: finally a report

Postby Mike M. » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:29 pm

And the birds from saturday's diver hunt. Love the colors on drake buffies. It was great to get out there.
Attachments
IMG_1102 - Copy.JPG
IMG_1049 - Copy.JPG
A serious reduction in the population of black ducks would mean the end of waterfowl hunting for the majority of the New England sportsmen.

Rachel Carson, 1947
Mike M.
hunter

Postby cut'emalljack » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:37 pm

Professor_Leakey wrote:nice job, congrats! :beer:

Beat you to it!

Seriously though, congrats on the successful hunts and the jewelry. I've been wanting to hit the salt real bad lately.
Cut'em
"Spot burning is for novice duck hunters, cyber scouters and pot-stirrers"

Proud member of Team FYG NEWTON
cut'emalljack
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:14 pm

"Speaking for myself"... Great report Mike and a long time coming. Glad you were able to get out and report your success. Those are some nice hunts and birds to brag about. I hope you can report some more before it's over. My offer still stands, even if it happens next season. :thumbsup:
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby Red Suited Iceman » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:29 am

Congrats on the jewelry! Some excellent hunts you had there, owls are awesome to see. I've had quite a few land in trees above me and around me while I'm out predator hunting. Congrats again!
Red Suited Iceman
hunter

Postby Joser06 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:47 pm

Loving the pictures! The band is sweet and I love the colors on that buffie
Joser06
hunter

Postby woodduck14 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:30 am

Congrats on the hunt Mike, sweet looking buffle.
Don't tread on me.
woodduck14
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting