Massachusetts Coastal Waterfowl Hunting

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, Tim D, HeritageHunter, MIKE J., JoeP

Massachusetts Coastal Waterfowl Hunting

Postby marshman » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:37 pm

Aloha!
I am lucky enough to hunt the Massachusetts coast 6 days a week from November 1st through the late goose season which ends this year on Feb. 15th and I love every minute of it!!! This section of coastline has an incredible diversity of birds. Some of the highlights of the season were harlequins decoying in on 3 seperate occasions, a king eider drake going by as I was picking up my long lines, a drake pintail landing in the decs after the close of their season and a flock of forty brant passing 30 yards over head on the last day of the season!!! Bands were a little scarce this season with the great duck Gods yielding only three to my boat. A mallard drake banded in 96, a drake eider, and a hen eider. All bands are trophies but the eiders are really a rarity as I have figured that only one in every thousand eiders that we gun has a band!! Well that's it or now, Hope everyone else up here in New England had a great season!!

Marshman
marshman
Newb

Postby Dogman » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:31 am

Souds great Marshman,glad you had a good season.Where do you hunt from ?Cape cod,North Shore,South Shore,all of the above?I used to live in Gloucester and it is a bottle neck for ducks,especially Seaduck.
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby marshman » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:44 am

Hey Dogman,
I hunt from Boston Harbor in the south up to the mouth of the Merrimack. I hunted out of Gloucester Harbor a few days this season with some great results!! This harbor is the only place that I have ever seen eiders behave like park mallards and take bread from people in the summer!! Happy hunting!!
marshman
Newb

Postby Dogman » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:26 pm

They breed on the shore line,especially Ten pound Island in the harbor at Gloucester.Get plenty of handouts from tourists and locals alike.Off Halibut point is good if you have a bigger boat.Just about any area between Cape Ann and Maine is good Seaduck hunting.
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby marshman » Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:40 am

I'm hunting out of a DW 19 which hunts four guys nicely. The Gloucester area definately has some great sea duckin' but I've found that I can't count on hunting out of that harbor except on nicer days and days with a predominantly westward wind.
marshman
Newb

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting