Late Season Strategies???

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, Tim D, HeritageHunter, MIKE J., JoeP

Late Season Strategies???

Postby PghDuckHunter » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:10 am

What late season strategies and tactics are you all employing now that everything is locked up? Both inland and marsh? Im not a sea duck guy, so Im not as interested in that.
PghDuckHunter
hunter

Re: Late Season Strategies???

Postby MIKE J. » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:41 pm

The coast is not locked up. dress warm and do some serious scouting. Quincy has some birds now.
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby PghDuckHunter » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:13 pm

Let me rephrase. Assume everything is locked up...Im curious does anyone continue heading out or do you call it a season?

More a philisophical question than "scout more", I already know/do that...
PghDuckHunter
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:10 pm

there is always open water somewhere, except during the most severe cold spell. (30 straight days of 28 degrees for the high temp) will send everything south. I prefer the late season over any other time. I have hunted a spring located in the woods that was an easy limit everytime we hit it. No decoys needed. they just wanted to land in this 50 foot X 50 foot piece of open water. just have to look around.
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckstopper333 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:37 pm

Now is the time to try and remember those little spots (creeks, springs, etc.) you found that you thought might hold ducks, but didn't hunt for some reason or another. First I'd look for open water, then I'd look for ducks. Small streams might not be frozen, bigger rivers should have some open water, but icebergs floating downstream aren't safe for man or dog. Saltwater is always an option depending on how far you want to travel.

By Jan. 1 you might get a warm up and then you have 10 days to hit it hard.

Or, maybe just make friends with Mike J. and he might just take you to that spring spot. :biggrin:
duckstopper333
hunter

Postby PghDuckHunter » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:43 am

Yeah, its intersting where I live (Newbury) because the ducks and geese spend all day in the Joppa Flats, but they arent there at night. Im not sure which part of the reserve they are spending their nights at or if they are flying inland. I just moved here so Im still scouting the open water spots.

I have a couple of little puddles that I can break the ice out and use a 6 goose spread on dry land around the perimeter with a few duck dekes floating on the pond. If Im in the flyway its like a magnet. But its getting harder to determine the ingress and egress routes. So its definitely hit or miss. It works really well with the geese though so its been fun.

Im more interested if guys use dekes anymore or if the lack of open water makes it an automatic "x" and people just sit and wait...
PghDuckHunter
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:02 pm

PghDuckHunter wrote:do you call it a season?

you dont call it a season until the state does. just look for open water. if you live a reasonable distance from the coast and youre calling it quits, youre crazy.
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting