Possible MA hunt coming from NM

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, JoeP, Tim D, MIKE J., HeritageHunter

Possible MA hunt coming from NM

Postby Quack-Blaster » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:21 am

Hey guys,

I am heading out to the Fitchburg/Ashburnham area for Christmas from New Mexico and was debating on bringing my shotgun.. I have never hunted out there but was hoping for some insight. I am a long time duck hunter and am not asking for anyone to take me to or tell me about their honey hole but some general guidance for that area would be great. Then I can decide on whether its worth bringing some gear or not. Please either respond here or pm me.

Thanks everyone!

Ryan
Early in the mornin watch ducks fly, bead on my shotgun watch ducks die!
Quack-Blaster
hunter

Re: Possible MA hunt coming from NM

Postby MIKE J. » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:00 am

That area is in the central zone. Everything is pretty much locked up in Ice at the moment. Should be plenty of geese around. Hopefully someone from that area will chime in.

Happy Holidays :beer:
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby james1981 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:08 pm

I live in the next town over. Everything is locked up out here... There are some rivers and small ponds in the ashburnham area, but they are all pretty much iced over.
If you are looking to hunt in Ma I would suggest going over to the Merrimack river , Ct river... The big water has pretty much been iced over for about a month since about thanksgiving.

I would suggest parts of the Nashua but they are iced over pretty good also... We are mainly hunting Deer for the muzzleloader season or driving about an hour or more to open water.

I hope this helps,
james1981
hunter

Postby Quack-Blaster » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:04 am

james1981 wrote:I live in the next town over. Everything is locked up out here... There are some rivers and small ponds in the ashburnham area, but they are all pretty much iced over.
If you are looking to hunt in Ma I would suggest going over to the Merrimack river , Ct river... The big water has pretty much been iced over for about a month since about thanksgiving.

I would suggest parts of the Nashua but they are iced over pretty good also... We are mainly hunting Deer for the muzzleloader season or driving about an hour or more to open water.

I hope this helps,

Thanks, I appreciate it. I will try and do it next year a bit earlier.
Early in the mornin watch ducks fly, bead on my shotgun watch ducks die!
Quack-Blaster
hunter

Postby james1981 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:51 pm

Bring your ice fishing gear... We have a good solid 4-6 inches on some of the ponds, Be safe near the edges but wouldnt venture too far without testing.

Duck season for our area really ends with the first real cold snap, we got a week or so around thanksgiving that was really cold and things just locked up early.
james1981
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting