Duck Hunting Forum banner

Intro's

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  BlackRockLab 
#1 ·
Seen a few new members posting up, which is great. Acombs, Akbraun, hipster, Blackrock. How about a little intro for us? No big deal if you're not inclined. :welcome: :beer:

#3 ·
Sure! I made a post on the main page introducing myself but here goes again:

I'm Jared. Just started hunting ducks up here in Massachusetts this season. I have some outdoors experience (Scouting, leading backpacking trips in college, etc) and I'd been interested in trying hunting and sporting for a while. As luck would have it, a guy at my gym has been in the game for 10+ years and agreed to take me along with him. He has been an awesome mentor for this first season - a very ethical hunter and great with identification and calling, plus he has a ton of dekes and gear. Another guy from the gym, who hunts mostly deer, has been coming out with us too.

The three of us have been hunting inland and coastal and have had very good luck so far. We just ordered a dozen goose shells to go along with some full bodies so we can continue getting outside through February for late goose.

I shoot an 870 (bought new) and mostly Kent's Fasteel #2. I've had some issues with the gun jamming/not cycling. The other day we had a group of 4 Canada Goose work into our decoy spread, flying straight at us about 5 feet off the ground. Shot, missed, and the extractor failed to catch the lip of shell. They were gone before I could get the spent shell out. :no: Not sure if the gun will break in over time or if I should get in touch with Remington. I've probably put a few hundred rounds through the gun between hunting and shooting clays by now.

I'm looking to getting to know you guys and maybe meeting up to explore more of Massachusetts! Check us out below, I'm the one in the Old School camo! :hi:

#4 ·
Welcome to the site Jared.

My buddy shoots an 870 and he had trouble with Kent's jamming as well. He's shot every other load out of that gun and has had no issues. Not sure if it's just coincidence or not, but you may try changing up your shell. If you are looking for something in the same price range I'd recomend Winchester Xpert's. Sure they may look like nerd candies, but they do the trick. (Cut open a shell and you'll see what I mean about the nerds thing)

#5 ·
woodduck14 said:
Welcome to the site Jared.

My buddy shoots an 870 and he had trouble with Kent's jamming as well. He's shot every other load out of that gun and has had no issues. Not sure if it's just coincidence or not, but you may try changing up your shell. If you are looking for something in the same price range I'd recomend Winchester Xpert's. Sure they may look like nerd candies, but they do the trick. (Cut open a shell and you'll see what I mean about the nerds thing)
I think that's been the first time it's jammed using Fasteel... it had problems with cheap Winchester target loads but I figured that's to be expected. And this is first time I've had an actual failure to eject, the other times the action seemed to lock up and I couldn't work the pump. Thanks for the recommendation though, I'll try the Winchester Xperts.

#6 ·
Sure thing. I ended up doing the same by posting up in the new member forum but should've probably done it here as well. The name is andy I live in western ma. I just started waterfowl hunting this season. I used to pheasant hunt in high school but kinda stopped hunting for 8 years when I was in the marine corps. When I came back to mass pheasants just didn't do it for me so I tried duck hunting and got hooked. Liked duck so I tried goose and its all down hill from here. Look forward to learning somethings from this site and maybe meeting a few out there in the field.

#8 ·
Welcome . I shoot an 870 lefty and it's been lost in a river for 3 hours and been in many rain and snow hunts. I shoot kent fast and other cheap ammo and never had a prob. Maybe I just got a good one . I hope everyone Christmas was good! Shoot'em down and cook'em nice!

#9 ·
Hey Y'all! Thanks for the opportunity to intro myself. I've really enjoyed spending some time on this forum. This is my first year duck hunting and I've learned a ton! Much of that learning has happened in the field (of course) but a lot of it has come from reading through your posts. Thanks!

I moved to MA from Western NC about 6 years ago. I grew up in the mountains of Southwest VA / Northeast TN and moved to Western NC in my late teens. I grew up spending a lot of time in the mountains doing about everything possible - Deer and turkey hunting, hiking, backpacking, mountain biking, rock climbing, fishing, etc. In my early 20's I found a passion for fly fishing and until now, that's taken up the majority of my free time. If you're not familiar with that area of the southeast, there's ton of great trout streams! If you ever need any info on it, let me know. In 2008 my wife and I moved to the Boston area for work.

This year, a buddy of mine at work (native Texan) took me on my first duck hunt. We got in and set up late that afternoon.... about 10 minutes before legal shooting hours were over, we had a goose drop into our spread. I shot him and was pumped! Needless to say, I was out at first light the next morning where I shot 2 Mallard drakes that worked into the decoys. That was it - I'm hooked. It's been a great year and I even shot a banded bird!

I really appreciate all of the thoughtful posts from you guys - keep em' coming. I look forward to being a part of the conversation!

#11 ·
Sure, here's an intro:

I have been duck and pheasant hunting in Massachusetts since 1978. I have taken a few years off to coach my kids in youth sports, but when my son took it upon himself to take the hunters safety course, it was time to start getting out again. I have been fortunate enough to have some really good Labrador retrievers over the years, and we just bought a puppy and we are hoping that he will be a good waterfowl retriever. We got out about about eight times this season and had a fair season. I will have to do some additional scouting next season and find some new spots. I found this site in about October and have enjoyed reading the posts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.