Vacation days five and six

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, Tim D, HeritageHunter, MIKE J., JoeP

Vacation days five and six

Postby woodduck14 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:34 pm

First off, Merry Christmas to everyone.

Day five had some promise becuase my buddy scouted it the day before and it was filled with about 200 ducks, but he said we may have to break a little ice to set up near the land. So of course after hearing that we decide that's where we'll go. Morning comes and we launch the boat, motor out to where the land is, and as we get closer we realize the ice is a solid 4 inches thick. Well we didn't bring our jack hammers so we were screwed. We decide to set up and just sit in the boat and pray that we get some pass shots, it was pretty foggy so we were hoping that was to our advantage. Not so. The only thing that came in range was a flock of mergansers, we both hesitated, but fired when we realized this would be our only flock of the day. We dropped three of them, then a lone hen mallard flew by and I dropped her. We picked up and jump shot the rest of the day with no luck.

Day six was a sad day becuase it meant the last day I'll get out this year before the season ends. Where's the time go? Any way, we hunted a river that leads into some flooded timber and nothing flew it. After about an hour a dozen or so ducks flew out of some nearby reeds and we decide to take a walk to see if there's any left. We spook up a pair and my buddy drops the greenhead, as the dog is looking for the bird I notice a duck swimming about 15 feet from me. It's a black duck, and it keeps trying to fly, but can only get 5 feet off the ground before it crashes back down. So I walk over and shoot it, inspect it for damage and it's wing was totally busted. Glad I got to him before he froze or was dinner for the coyotes.

End of season.
Attachments
photo (2).JPG
Don't tread on me.
woodduck14
hunter

Re: Vacation days five and six

Postby Joser06 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:19 pm

Sounds like an awesome vacation. Thanks for sharing it with us!
Joser06
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting