12-27 geese

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, Tim D, HeritageHunter, MIKE J., JoeP

12-27 geese

Postby cape-shot » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:38 am

Crisp, cold, beautiful morning out there today, with more than enough geese in the air to fill our 4 gun limit before 8am. More geese were coming in as we were picking up the decoys and leaving :eek: . I might be done chasing puddle ducks and just commit to geese from here on out. Good luck to anyone getting out this weekend.
Attachments
geese2013.jpg
geese2013.jpg (13.73 KiB) Viewed 762 times
Last edited by cape-shot on Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
cape-shot
hunter

Re: 12-27 geese

Postby MIKE J. » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:47 am

Nice Job :thumbsup:
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Zone11-Dh » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:13 pm

Nice looking tailgate! Looks like a lot of awsome goose jerky to me! :grooving:
Zone11-Dh
hunter

Postby joshohmygosh » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:24 pm

nice job, im new here and new to duck hunting al together, i do deer and turkey but thinkin about getting into duck/geese with my son. i have been seeing a lot of geese flyin near my hunt spot, theres cranberry bogs and 2 little ponds and a river runnin through it, and a white goose that lives there always qhakin or whatever geese do, and she seams to get there attention but not enough to come check her out, now do you have any advice on getting them to come down to a comfortable shooting zone?
joshohmygosh
hunter

Postby cape-shot » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:54 pm

joshohmygosh wrote:nice job, im new here and new to duck hunting al together, i do deer and turkey but thinkin about getting into duck/geese with my son. i have been seeing a lot of geese flyin near my hunt spot, theres cranberry bogs and 2 little ponds and a river runnin through it, and a white goose that lives there always qhakin or whatever geese do, and she seams to get there attention but not enough to come check her out, now do you have any advice on getting them to come down to a comfortable shooting zone?

You're going to want to get a few decoys. It doesn't take many, even as little as 3 will work. If its possible set the decoys up on a bog road as close to the fight path as you can. This might get them to lower altitude enough for a shot.
cape-shot
hunter

Postby joshohmygosh » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:16 pm

great, thanks a lot, will definetly be getting some decoys for next season. i have looked and noticed several types, does it matter what type or do some work better than others?
joshohmygosh
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:21 pm

joshohmygosh wrote:great, thanks a lot, will definetly be getting some decoys for next season. i have looked and noticed several types, does it matter what type or do some work better than others?

Full Body decoys are the better choice but require a lot of work to get them in and out if you don't have access to drive in.

Shells will work fine

Silhouettes such as Real Geese are probably the best bet all around.
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Cajun1085 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:52 pm

I just recently started getting into shooting Canadas this year. It is surely addicting! We don't get them in South Louisiana very often so I am making the most of being stationed in Maryland.
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby Codfather » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:58 pm

I may have some big foot for sale next year if interested.
Attachments
iphone 529 (800x600).jpg
Codfather
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:03 pm

Cant beat the bigfoot decoy. toss'em, kick'em etc. the paint doesn't come off. They have probably accounted for more geese slamming the ground than any other full body on the market
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby hipster_hunter » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:11 pm

Codfather wrote:I may have some big foot for sale next year if interested.

That's a nice spread! It's been hard getting big groups to come down into just a few full bodies and flags. I have a dozen shells in the mail but that still probably isn't enough to get groups of 20+ to land. I might be wrong though. Will that amount of decoys get a flock of any size interested?
hipster_hunter
hunter

Postby Codfather » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:19 pm

photo (640x477).jpg

yea I can get just about everything in lol.
just this year alone 237 geese 303 ducks :hammer:
Codfather
hunter

Postby Codfather » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:42 pm

here a couple of the days in mass ;) it was nice to get into a few birds this year and be successful but it took a lot of money for scouting. but I paid off in the long run!
Attachments
image (640x480).jpg
004 (640x480).jpg
iphone 300 (800x600).jpg
Codfather
hunter

Postby cape-shot » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:58 pm

hipster_hunter wrote:

That's a nice spread! It's been hard getting big groups to come down into just a few full bodies and flags. I have a dozen shells in the mail but that still probably isn't enough to get groups of 20+ to land. I might be wrong though. Will that amount of decoys get a flock of any size interested?

Absolutely yes, if you're in an area the geese want to be. If you are trying to pull flocks off of a predetermined flight path then I think that's when having a bigger spread can help get attention.

If you're like me, unless you shoot your limit you''ll second guess just about everything you did:lol3: "We need to hide better, the decoys are too close, more decoys, less decoys, more calling, less calling, we should have shot on the first pass dammit!" Its a game that it is never perfect but boy is it fun and every hunt is different. NOTHING you do will ever be more beneficial than scouting and being were the birds want to be. Good luck :beer:
cape-shot
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:10 pm

Thanks for sharing pictures of your success Codfather. Great stuff :thumbsup:

Cape Shot, You hit the nail on the head. :beer:
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby joshohmygosh » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:13 am

yeah definitely inrtrested, just let me know when your thinking about getting rid of some. im gonna need some for next year either way, thanks
joshohmygosh
hunter

Postby hipster_hunter » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:13 pm

cape-shot wrote:
hipster_hunter wrote:

Absolutely yes, if you're in an area the geese want to be. If you are trying to pull flocks off of a predetermined flight path then I think that's when having a bigger spread can help get attention.

If you're like me, unless you shoot your limit you''ll second guess just about everything you did:lol3: "We need to hide better, the decoys are too close, more decoys, less decoys, more calling, less calling, we should have shot on the first pass dammit!" Its a game that it is never perfect but boy is it fun and every hunt is different. NOTHING you do will ever be more beneficial than scouting and being were the birds want to be. Good luck :beer:

Haha I know what you mean about second guessing. Where I've been hunting ducks, I've seen large groups of geese pass back and forth overhead. I know where they're landing to feed (private property nearby, pretty sure it's hunted by others and won't get access permission). Would setting up in their flight path with a group of 15-20 decoys and flags be enough to land them, or at least get them curious and into shooting range?
hipster_hunter
hunter

Postby cape-shot » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:26 pm

Hipster, I would definitely try it. For me geese more than ducks like swing over for a look. If it looks like they're not interested I would blow the calls like its new years and see if you can get them over for a look.
cape-shot
hunter

Postby Codfather » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:33 pm

I truly wanna reup on my gear for next year 150 full bodys but I have 40 bigfoots 2 doz oversized shells ghg and the rest are ghg motion systems that I think are the best for the money but you need decoy bags no doubt. I wanna find a good high end goose decoy I like to hunt over but intime. any one have questons on goose calls or anything give me a shout!
Codfather
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting