public places to duckhunt?

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, MIKE J., HeritageHunter, JoeP, Tim D

public places to duckhunt?

Postby joshohmygosh » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:11 pm

me and my son have been thinking bout trying some duckhunting next season so we are thinking abouyt preparing now and seeing if its something we can even do or even be ready for. we hunt turkey and deer and are looking to venture out into new hunting oppurtunities. are main thing is places to hunt? anyone no any good places in the southcoast of ma. we are in acushnet/ newbedford area. we have a nice private spot to hunt deer /turkey and it has a river and a little pond on the property but besides the goose that lives there its not a duck hunting place. we are just looking for something safe and legal to hunt. my son is young so safety is a must
joshohmygosh
hunter

Re: public places to duckhunt?

Postby MIKE J. » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:53 pm

Welcome,

Since you are preparing for next season start now by hitting the road at day break and look for birds flying. Make a note where they are and what direction they are flying. High flying birds are making distance count, low flying birds are getting ready to land. Then go on google earth and try to narrow down where they are landing. Then the real fun starts, getting legal access, competing with other hunters etc. Sometimes you find the birds and it requires dragging a canoe filled with gear through the woods for a 1/2 mile. Waterfowling is not for everyone, It takes some effort and dedication to consistently kill birds. Scouting is very important, just because you had a great hunt last weekend doesnt mean they will be there again next weekend.

There are plenty of huntable birds in your area :thumbsup:

Good luck and remember safety is always a must at any age!
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby joshohmygosh » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:17 pm

thanks a lot for the advice, It makes sense, I actually at my deer spot, have been seeing a lot of geese groups flying farely low, defintly shooting distance near and over the bogs, theres a little pond with a white goose that lives there year round she came one year and never left, she almost seems domesticated or someones pet, but she seems to attract other geese, my 2 problems with them is sometimes they are a little high, i thought maybe decoys or a call would get them lower to a more comfortable shot, any advice? and its hard to tell exactly what kind of geese they are? so i guess i gotta do more research before i take a shot? but how do you prepare for that situation? or can you ?
joshohmygosh
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:25 pm

Be careful with the white goose, any type of domestic waterfowl present might get you a ticket for relying on "live decoys". This is a federal regulation. 99% of the geese you are seeing are Canada geese and the occasional rare speckle belly, both are considered "dark geese". There are a few snow geese (light geese) that pass through from the Champlain flyway too. As far as pass shooting them, if they are low enough (tree Top) then go for it. Just keep an eye out for any birds that might not drop after you shoot until a few seconds later and sail into the next 40 acre lot.
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby MIKE J. » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:06 pm

I bet they are heading to the golf course that is close by :biggrin:
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby GMC2500HD » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:40 pm

MIKE J. wrote:I bet they are heading to the golf course that is close by :biggrin:

It's like the DMZ. Torture everyday I am working, our ponds are loaded with ducks and geese. Plus deer seem to appear out of no where
GMC2500HD
hunter

Postby joshohmygosh » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:09 pm

how did u know the golf course was close by? are u familiar with the area? and its actually connected to the property on one side
joshohmygosh
hunter

Postby joshohmygosh » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:13 pm

and thanks for the advice, so as long as they are dark geese there a safe bet, and the white goose as a live decoy i would have never thought of that being a problem, thanks for bringin that to my attention, but defintely makes sense. i will have look into that and do more resarch and make sure its either far enough away or whatever the laws are on it so i will not get in trouble .
joshohmygosh
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:41 pm

joshohmygosh wrote:how did u know the golf course was close by? are u familiar with the area? and its actually connected to the property on one side

Lesson # 1, Do not provide too much info when posting :biggrin: I am familiar with the area but do not hunt it much anymore.
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby joshohmygosh » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:17 am

yeah i will try to be less descriptive in the future, lol i was a little shocked when u said golf course.lol but being familiar with the area did u have any luck over there? i recently got permission from the land owner to hunt there and still getting a feel for the area, when it comes to deer and turkey, but almost every time ive been there recently i have seen some action so naturaully ive been thinking about doing some geese hunting.
joshohmygosh
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting