Foreigner needs advice.

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, HeritageHunter, JoeP, Tim D, MIKE J.

Foreigner needs advice.

Postby jkm » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:36 am

I'm not really a foreigner, but I am from the deep south. Ms. to be exact. My sister lives in Boston and I was contemplating a trip up next fall during my kids fall break from school. It usually falls @ the middle of Oct. and from what I have read your season starts around that time. It would be my 15 yr.old and myself for a couple of days. Our hunting usually is not very good early in the season and I was wondering about that time frame for sea ducks in your area. We would want to hunt within an hour or so of Boston if possible. Definitely with a guide. I have seen a trip report recently from some guys that were hunting with the skyline of Boston in the background. Those were some of the most amazing pictures I have seen. I never in a million years would have thought you guys could hunt in Boston Harbor. By the way I wish our neighboring states were as reasonable as you guys with your out of state license fees. Any info. or advice would be greatly appreciated. Happy New Year!
jkm
hunter

Re: Foreigner needs advice.

Postby MIKE J. » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:16 am

Welcome JKM :beer:

Happy New Years. Mid October there will be plenty of Sea Ducks available with the scoters being the predominant species. There are a few reputable guides that operate within an hours drive of Boston. As far as other ducks they are here too with woodies and teal migrating through the area about that time. The puddle ducks are mostly resident but can be had in good numbers. Keep in touch and we hope to hear from you with positive reports next year. The fishing for Striped Bass and Blues is good that time also if you want to mix it up a bit.
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jkm » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:27 pm

Thanks Mike, We have visited several times in the past and I never realized what great hunting you have there. We have visited the western part of the state and the coastal areas and Mass. is very beautiful place. After seeing that report a few weeks ago we are pretty pumped about giving it a try. I am planning to start researching now for next year and will probably have some more questions for you guys. Thanks for the response.
MIKE J. wrote:Welcome JKM :beer:

Happy New Years. Mid October there will be plenty of Sea Ducks available with the scoters being the predominant species. There are a few reputable guides that operate within an hours drive of Boston. As far as other ducks they are here too with woodies and teal migrating through the area about that time. The puddle ducks are mostly resident but can be had in good numbers. Keep in touch and we hope to hear from you with positive reports next year. The fishing for Striped Bass and Blues is good that time also if you want to mix it up a bit.
jkm
hunter

Postby jkm » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:31 am

Would there be much opportunity for an old squaw at that time?
jkm
hunter

Postby Where_da_ducks » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:47 am

You must be on msducks (ducksouth.com). I am on the one who posted that report. You definitely need to hook up with Captain Adam through GetDucks.com and go out hunting in the harbor. We had a blast. What he told me was we were on the early end of the migration and while there were plenty of ducks to chase it was much better later in the season. More specifically there would be 10x as many birds as when we were there the week before Thanksgiving due to it being somewhat mild weather. Schedule your trip up there during their winter break. You might very well come back with several new species from one trip, Eider, 3 different scoters, old squaw (longtail), blackduck, and brant. Plan on going back myself in a few years after I pay off my taxidermy bill from this trip. Want to try to get a brant and one of each drake scoter for a dead mount and hopefully meet up with some of these local guys if they are nice enough to hunt some puddle ducks and Canadas up there.
Where_da_ducks
Newb

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting