Not good...2 more dead

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, HeritageHunter, JoeP, Tim D, MIKE J.

Not good...2 more dead

Postby Richard Struh » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:32 am

Richard Struh
hunter

Re: Not good...2 more dead

Postby rifleman » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:04 am

What were they thinking! Not very smart to be out there today. Prayers go out to thier families and friends. I may even know them.
USN Retired
NRA Life
Somerset Sportsman Club
East Warren Rod and Gun
rifleman
hunter

Postby briggsy » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:07 am

I just clicked on the news....Westport river area...two out of three duck hunters found dead...not good....it looked like a black pick up in parking lot....very sad....
briggsy
hunter

Postby Quakah » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:15 pm

image.jpg

Prayers to the families.
Quakah
hunter

Postby woodduck14 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:41 pm

Sad news. You just never know...
Stay safe everyone!
Don't tread on me.
woodduck14
hunter

Postby SMSovis » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:56 pm

:sad:
"Crime doesn't pay, and weasels finish last."
SMSovis
hunter

Postby ChrisR » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:24 pm

Sad news indeed. I heard one was a rep from Cabelas in CT and the other a Doctor from RI. Prayers go out to the families.
ChrisR
hunter

Postby Richard Struh » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:44 pm

I've been contacted via IM by this globe reporter. Don't talk to reporters. They are not friends of hunters, especially the Boston Globe.

Hunting/guns generate clicks. They make ad revenues off that.
Richard Struh
hunter

Postby GMC2500HD » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:55 pm

Bad day to be out even on land, factor in water today... forget about it there no room for error. you go in today, your chances are slim next to none.

Just very sad though
GMC2500HD
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:57 pm

sad news. Out of respect to the families and friends, try not to post any names until they are officially released please
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby rifleman » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:31 pm

Richard Struh wrote:I've been contacted via IM by this globe reporter. Don't talk to reporters. They are not friends of hunters, especially the Boston Globe.

Same here. They had contacted me the same way. They're wasting thier time. I have nothing to say to them, ever. Cant wait till papers like them go out of business. Who reads papers anymore anyway. It makes no sense. Almost as bad as still having a home phone.
Last edited by rifleman on Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
USN Retired
NRA Life
Somerset Sportsman Club
East Warren Rod and Gun
rifleman
hunter

Postby rifleman » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:32 pm

ChrisR wrote:Sad news indeed. I heard one was a rep from Cabelas in CT and the other a Doctor from RI. Prayers go out to the families.

Truck and trailer had Ma Plates.
USN Retired
NRA Life
Somerset Sportsman Club
East Warren Rod and Gun
rifleman
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:36 pm

terrible news. very sad. thoughts and prayers for the families, responders, and for the survivor. be safe out there.
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby JTR » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:09 pm

Really sad to hear, especially when it happens so close to home. Things can go bad real quick. No duck is worth dying for.
Ruger's Retrieves: I lost count
JTR
hunter

Postby seaneen » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:22 pm

God that's bad news for sure, Prayers and condolences to the families.

Seaneen
seaneen
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:27 pm

Very sad day indeed. I don't really know what to add to this except my condolences and support.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby GMC2500HD » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:56 pm

GMC2500HD
hunter

Postby GMC2500HD » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:36 pm

Richard Struh wrote:I've been contacted via IM by this globe reporter. Don't talk to reporters. They are not friends of hunters, especially the Boston Globe.

Same....reporters give this sport a bad name no matter what
GMC2500HD
hunter

Postby T Man » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:45 pm

If anyone is being contacted/harassed by reporters on DHC please send me a PM with their information and the messages they have sent you.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby pequawhonk1 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:04 pm

DU has done the needed damage, see the Boston Garbage online article that quotes a DU spokesman. Makes it seem like he is familiar with area and hunters intended bag. He then goes into a rant about sea ducks and how they are only huntable in harsh conditions like today. Otherwise eider lay around during calm weather on the grass. With such an uninformed statement by an organization I have paid into for decades makes me second guess whom they really represent. My take off his statement is that waterfowl hunters in pursuit of sea ducks are only out for a trophy and not for the overall outdoor experience and most importantly table fare. Furthermore, his comments make us seem like we disregard good judgement for our own personal safety in favor of a kill.

Thanks and with friends like that who needs enemies. Wish Delta had stuck it out in MA. DU has been out of touch with hunters especially in New England for a long time.
pequawhonk1
hunter

Postby Irishwhistler » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:14 pm

rifleman wrote:What were they thinking! Not very smart to be out there today. Prayers go out to thier families and friends. I may even know them.

Not smart to flap your lips when you don't know all the facts either. As retired USN you should know "loose lips sink ships". Fact, one of the vistims is career USN RET., just like yourself. Fact, he was a personal friend of mine, and I take umbridge with your A$$umptions! Fact, I personally went and spoke to the manager of Cabela's East Hartford tonight and requested that they lower their flags to half mast in respect for the service of this dedicated USN Veteran to our beloved nation. I will miss my friend in my blind going forward.

Sir, thank you for your service, but please have some decorum and respect for the family and friends of all of the victims, including that of your Navy Brother. Comments like yours are exactly what the press are looking for, ammo for armchair quarterbacking.

Irishwhistler
"TEAM TRAD" - Pro Staff
DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
Irishwhistler
hunter

Postby pequawhonk1 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:42 pm

Irishwhistler wrote:
rifleman wrote:What were they thinking! Not very smart to be out there today. Prayers go out to thier families and friends. I may even know them.

Not smart to flap your lips when you don't know all the facts either. As retired USN you should know "loose lips sink ships". Fact, one of the vistims is career USN RET., just like yourself. Fact, he was a personal friend of mine, and I take umbridge with your A$$umptions! Fact, I personally went and spoke to the manager of Cabela's East Hartford tonight and requested that they lower their flags to half mast in respect for the service of this dedicated USN Veteran to our beloved nation. I will miss my friend in my blind going forward.

Sir, thank you for your service, but please have some decorum and respect for the family and friends of all of the victims, including that of your Navy Brother. Comments like yours are exactly what the press are looking for, ammo for armchair quarterbacking.

Irishwhistler

While some may word their language with more tact I agree that judgement was certainly lacking. I know this area as did the survivor and one of the deceased was a charter boat fisherman so he to with his training and experience on the water should have realized that it was a better day spent in bed. The winds were gusting to 40 mph plus with steady above 25. The tides were against the wind and in one of Buzzards Bays most notorious hell holes. All that being said and moving beyond the sorrow to attempt to figure out what went wrong with such seasoned men I can only come up with the same as Rifleman-"what were they thinking"

I could hear the wind like a train this moring and I am eight miles inland from the accident. That alone has put me back to bed on a number of occasions each year. No duck is worth a life.
pequawhonk1
hunter

Postby MassDecoyCarver » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:18 am

Very sad indeed, news like this always hits home.
I hunt the upper East Branch but have never ventured out to the area of the mouth. One clip on the news last night showed a glimpse of the mouth and it looked ferocious with wind and waves.
My thoughts go out to the families and friends.
MassDecoyCarver
hunter

Postby rifleman » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:34 am

Irishwhistler wrote:

Irishwhistler

This is my last post here. Thanks for all of the support in the past.
USN Retired
NRA Life
Somerset Sportsman Club
East Warren Rod and Gun
rifleman
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting