Looking for advice

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, MIKE J., HeritageHunter, JoeP, Tim D

Looking for advice

Postby greener » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:38 pm

First my condolences to the family and friends of the recent loss to the fellow hunters.

I staretd hunting ducks once the grouse and woodcok season ended. My son and I were looking for something to extend our days afield... what a great time we have had ... located in central mass I am looking for advice on purchasing decoys.. right now i have a nice set of handmade cork decoys but they are not mine and i dont want to beat them to much...

so with all the decoys available Im looking for either used or new but which ones to purchase are very confusing... looking for inland type set up mostly rivers/puddles... your advice would greatly be appreciated...

Yours In the field
greener
hunter

Re: Looking for advice

Postby Professor_Leakey » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:30 pm

what kind of a spread did you use this season and how did it work out? it depends a lot on what youre seeing. early season i throw out a couple woodies and teal and also a varying number of mallards. later in the season i take away the woodies and possibly the teal and go with all mallards or blacks, with possible a ringer or two if i am seeing them around. late season i go with all black ducks and maybe a buffy or a goldeneye off to the side a ways. again, it depends on what youre seeing. go with that. most important is just to stay still and hidden, and if it is a calm day then a jerk cord is a great help. as for brands, i like the GHG decoys i have...they look good and theyre cheap, although the paint will chip a little on them. good idea to spray them with a clear coat to protect them, too.

oh yeah and :welcome:
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby greener » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:00 pm

ok My spread contained 8 decs.... 5 blacks and 3 mallards .... I see mostly mallards and a very few woodies.... I think my blind set up is what hurt us ... I call it first timer dues :rolleyes: .... it seems that the GHG's seem to be a good choice... now wouldn't clear coat add a shine to them... thanks for the help
greener
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:05 pm

:welcome: If you're like any of us you'll probably start with a few and then one day you look and you have dozens. If I were you I would but new. Most of the used stuff I see is over priced. A lot of the plastic stuff can last if you take care of it, some of it won't last. It's really as simple as getting a half dozen mallard dekes to start and building from there if you wish. Most ducks around Mass will toll to mallards. Good luck, I agree, the choice of decoys is mind boggling but it doesn't need to be.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:10 pm

light coat of matte finish...it isnt shiny. when you order through amazon a lot of it comes from macks pw. i do like macks. also, when you order on amazon you avoid the sales tax. not sure when that is set to be a thing of the past, soon if it hasnt already.

definitely add a jerk cord for those calm days, especially...and work getting the blind right and being hidden and still.

what was it about your blind setup that you think hurt you? what changes will you make next season?
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby spider316 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:07 pm

Green, check your your Pm
Most experienced novice Duckhunter the good Lord ever created !
spider316
hunter

Postby greener » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:42 pm

Spider I did thanks reply sent :thumbsup:

So far all the advice is great thanks !!!!!
greener
hunter

Postby james1981 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:59 pm

For inland in central mass, We get a lot of Blacks, teal, Woodies and Mallards, these are the predominat species that I see regularly...

I would suggest a half dozen magnum Black ducks. and a Mojo Mallard maybe a goose decoy or two.. for the central part of the state... we just dont see the numbers that the coastal guys get... the spinning wing is for the woodies... they love to buzz them about 30yrds out...
we do most of our shooting over less than a half dozen decoys... and its lighter to carry to those small waters...

Much like fishing... Advertising sells more stuff you dont really need to be successful in the field...
james1981
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting