Safety improvements

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, JoeP, Tim D, MIKE J., HeritageHunter

Safety improvements

Postby kmachstang » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:27 pm

Hey guys,

The recent events that have occurred have hit really close to home for me. I am very careful about staying home if things look like they might get ugly, but i'll admit I have been caught in some nasty conditions in the past. I'm re-evaluating things for next year and looking at some new equipment for worst case scenario.

One being I am not very good at wearing my PFD. Has anyone tried out floatation jackets? http://www.basspro.com/Onyx-Camo-Life-J ... /10219927/ Hows the mobility/floatation? Any other options that won't affect mounting the shotgun? Should I be worried about auto flotation type devices in extreme cold/mud/ice/etc? I typically hunt from a boat blind, so I'm on the water at all times.

Also any thoughts on increasing cold water survival? Dry suits under the camo? Extra dry clothes in the boat? Just looking for ideas.

Thanks,
Kyle
kmachstang
hunter

Re: Safety improvements

Postby Baymen Moe » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:49 pm

This is a great post Kyle, and I can't wait for all the ideas. Personally, I always wear my pfd in the canoe, it's the law anyway. I have a vest with the mesh shoulders and have shot with it on plenty. My waders are on 99.9% of the time and I wear a belt cinched up to the point it's alsmost uncomfortable.

A new feature on my canoe is a stabilizer set up. UNBELIEVABLE! It does not interfere with much, and I tried, but cannot tip the canoe. Leakey and McManus can testify to it's use.

While I may not have answered your direct questions, this post will give us all a chance to share our safety practices while hunting. :thumbsup:
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby Boats84 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:28 pm

I have worn auto inflates for work year round for about 6 years now. Never any issues with cold or wear and tear. I do not wear it for hunting. I have a camo type III for the canoe. It is awkward to shoot with it on but I only shoot from canoe if I am sluicing a wounded duck that played possum on me. I typically try to stay shore side for shooting. I do bring two type IV camo cushions for extra flotation and an collapsable paddle as an extra with me in canoe just in case I drop or lose big paddle.
Boats84
hunter

Postby PghDuckHunter » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:56 am

One of the biggest safety devices that it astounds me people forget/do not wear is a waist belt with their waders. I have fallen in numerous times hunting and fishing where my waders would have filled without the belt. I am certain it has saved me from catastrophe on more than one occasion including this season.

Do NOT wear waders without a tightly cinched waist belt.

Also, I have added a floating/waterproof emergency kit in my blind bag that has matches, firestarter, a thermal blanket, knife and a few other things. It packs down really small and can save your life.

A PFD is a must. I would never wear waders on a boat without a PFD.
PghDuckHunter
hunter

Postby greener » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:42 am

Just recently I was out on my canoe son had his PFD on I did not as I just plain forgot :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: to put it on when we left the blind... As we pulled ashore a game warden was their to inspect. We passed everything with flying EXCEPT ME My pfd was in the canoe bottom... I recieved a warning... But I will never forget to wear it again...

This was my first season, and I cannot believe the amount of folks I have seen with no PFDS on !!!!

BE warned EPO"S are looking for boaters/canoes and Kayaks for PFDS duck hunters .... I was persoanlly told this by the EPO...
By the way it was great to see the EPOS lurking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I loved it .... next day we wre back and he grabbed a guy shooting to close to a house... and he smiled when he saw my PFD
Cheers
greener
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:37 pm

Great Topic :thumbsup:

I have a Mustang flotation coat and it is nice but I will sweat in it with moderate activity which leads to chills after I sit for a while.

Quality 5MM waders are a must. I like the high cut style that comes up to your arm pits. Very warm and they provide buoyancy when needed. I have jumped in my pool with them on just to see what happens and was surprised to see that very little water entered the boots. The breathable type of waders which are a loose fitting style will fill with water and this makes swimming extremely tough. USE a belt as the others mentioned.

Since the Westport I have been looking at neoprene wet suits the surfers wear around here. No need for waders, just some boots and a jacket over it for camo.

Always wear a PFD when the boat is in motion and have it within arms reach when your hunting. I have strobes/mirror/and a whistle on each PFD in my boat.
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby briggsy » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:24 pm

Try to have TWO paddles if you have room...try paddling a sneak boat or kayak with your gun to go get your paddle....and when in my yak, always use my pontoon stabilizers that i made with lobster buoy's,
With the paddle on a leash.....great thread here...
briggsy
hunter

Postby kjm1022 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:34 pm

As repeatedly said already, a life jacket is a must. I'm so use to wearing mine as I hunted from a kayak for many years, had no problem shooting with it on either. You're just flat out stupid if you don't wear one and it's the law, just sayin'.

I have 5mm neoprene waders and i've been in the drink with them in January with a PFD on and slipped off a shelf walking from shore without one once. In both cases, I floated, it's unlikely you will sink with neoprene waders as they are very buoyant.

If I go out alone, my wife always knows where I'm hunting and I have a gps app on the phone that she can see and I check in throughout the hunt.

Even with a PFD, waders and your location known, nothing will prevent exposure to the elements if you take a dunk. Sometimes it's best to just stay home and clean the shotgun. No duck is worth meeting God any earlier than is needed. :thumbsup:
kjm1022
hunter

Postby kmachstang » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:41 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I took a lot of good ideas from the posts. I agree not wearing a PFD is a dumbass move, but luckily i'm seeing the light before something bad happens.

Going to look into wet/dry suits or at least upgrade to a thicker chest wader. Also going to put some sort of survival kit together and start carrying it in my blind bag. And of course a PFD that I don't have to take off to shoot.
kmachstang
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting