Rate this season

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, JoeP, Tim D, HeritageHunter, MIKE J.

Rate this season

Postby MIKE J. » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:12 pm

Okay, On a scale of 1 to 5, (5 being outstanding) how would you rate this season for duck numbers.

I had a mediocre season as far as puddler's. I give it a 3. Sea ducks cooperated every trip.
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Re: Rate this season

Postby Baymen Moe » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:29 pm

For duck numbers, I agree, a 3. For enjoying the season as a whole, always a 5. :thumbsup:
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby JeffW » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:54 pm

I think I only got out 5 or 6 times...still haven't field hunted geese yet this year. Each time was decent, about a 3. I was busy with fishing and spent any time deer hunting. I did get out a couple weeks ago after the storm, the fog hurt us but was able to almost shoot 2 limits, mallards, blacks, geese, and a wigeon. Most birds that saw the decoys came right in.
JeffW
hunter

Postby Joser06 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:31 am

I would have to rate this season a 4 out of 5 in my area for numbers of birds. I had a couple days that I only saw one flock or saw a couple singles.

As far as my season for as far as harvest was I have to rank it 5 out of 5. I actually saw a confirmed widgeon and pintail this year which I had never seen before. Though this was a couple days before the season started... I killed two new species for me this year and lost a third new species. This year I harvested more birds than I ever have and got my bird band. I found a lot of new spots and pinpointed spots where birds like to hang out in spots I already hunted. I am also very confident in calling and had ducks landing on top of my dekes consistently. My only regret is not getting out much after inland froze up but that was my own fault and I am already looking forward to next year.
Joser06
hunter

Postby Codfather » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:22 pm

I give this season a 4 with the amount of birds we have seen.
my group was able to hunt every weekend and put the hours in scouting and it ended paying off. we shot 574 geese and ducks total this year. not as many geese as we are used to but we may get it them next week on the 5 a day bird limit.
Attachments
iphone 278 (800x600).jpg
iphone 428 (800x533).jpg
iphone 256 (800x600).jpg
Codfather
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:05 pm

i am learning a little more each season, and theyre all 5's. i just love getting out.

i got out a lot early season but was forced to miss out on much of late season due to school work getting in the way. that was tough, but it will all be worth it when it is over.

the recent tragedies and loss of life do put a cloud over it all and i will always try to remember those guys when i look back at this season.
DuckPharm wrote:I'm talking about the pie billed goldeneye.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby hipster_hunter » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:40 pm

This was my first season and I loved every time I got out. Always saw birds in the air, got them to decoy in, and took down at least one most times so I can't complain! I'd give it a 4 though - I would have liked to see some more species. Only mallards, black ducks, two scaups, and a gadwall. Plus some divers that we hardly ever decoyed in and never shot at (some type of merganser) Started too late in the season for woodies, I think, which I want to bag really bad. Excited for late geese though!
hipster_hunter
hunter

Postby Richard Struh » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:28 am

The highlight (of my paint) of my season.

Richard Struh
hunter

Postby PghDuckHunter » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:41 pm

2.5 out of 5 for me. Flat average. Nice to discover some new ground and new tactics to hunt in a new area of the country for me. But have a long way to go to scout and obtain permission to hunt the places that will produce what I am used to.

But none the less a good start and I shot more Black ducks than I ever have before!
PghDuckHunter
hunter

Postby :-) » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:04 pm

3 outta 5 regular season, and 0 outta 5 for teal season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:-)
hunter

Postby 682x » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:14 am

4+ for me up here. The amount of birds located and bagged was an all time high.
Arnold Trail Trap , Skeet, and 5-Stand.
682x
hunter

Postby Codfather » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:55 pm

4 man limit for mass late season opener! lots of birds around1
Attachments
image (5).jpeg
image (5).jpeg (49.51 KiB) Viewed 444 times
Codfather
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting