Is this poaching?

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, JoeP, Tim D, HeritageHunter, MIKE J.

Is this poaching?

Postby Bulldog87 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:12 am

A friend of mine was out goose hunting when a boat showed up boat in the river and get up through some decoys and started shooting Buffelhead's. I wasn't able to make it so he called me to check online about dates cause we were under the assumption that ducks close January 11 he called the EPO's and they said the duck season was still open when I looked it up it says that only scoter eiders and long tails are open right now he was pretty sure that they were shooting Buffelhead's in mergansers we been out all season and never seen Scoter eiders or long tails over the river
Bulldog87
hunter

Re: Is this poaching?

Postby Codfather » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:33 am

what kind of boat and what river?
Codfather
hunter

Postby Bulldog87 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:40 pm

Not sure of the boat but was in the Merrimack river near the ice brake epos never come when we call we respect the rules and refs and to see people do that stuff specially during fishing season we called in a group that kept 3 under sized stripers last year and they didn't think it was important enough to come check it out
Bulldog87
hunter

Postby jehler » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:42 pm

Snitches get stitches
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby Codfather » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:12 pm

haa that was me and your buds must not have seen the 500 old squaws there lol
Attachments
178 (451x800).jpg
Codfather
hunter

Postby Bulldog87 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:19 pm

Cod father glad it was you and good hall, didn't put it up to piss people off. I'm a new hunter and play by all the rules if people can't be successfull and so things the right way it pisses me off. Snitches get stiches? What the **** is this gangland of waterfowl? Like I said cod father good for you and my buddy was only trying to do the right thing, take care good luck if you get out on some late goose!
Bulldog87
hunter

Postby Codfather » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:54 am

did Saturday on the geese!
Attachments
162 (800x600).jpg
Codfather
hunter

Postby Bulldog87 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:40 am

Nice! There's some meat for the freezer! I went in the marsh with some shells on sat but they were all flying to high, figures is go check out the pheasant fields cause they were flying over all day but guess they weren't landing in there, once the rain came I didn't see any more. You ever get out crow hunting?
Bulldog87
hunter

Postby jehler » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:53 am

Bulldog87 wrote: my buddy was only trying to do the right thing

why wouldn't the right thing been minding his own business?
jehler

Postby Maurry » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:05 am

Bulldog87 wrote:Cod father glad it was you and good hall, didn't put it up to piss people off. I'm a new hunter and play by all the rules if people can't be successfull and so things the right way it pisses me off. Snitches get stiches? What the **** is this gangland of waterfowl? Like I said cod father good for you and my buddy was only trying to do the right thing, take care good luck if you get out on some late goose!

Good for you, Bulldog87! You and your buddy did the right thing. Every law enforcement officer appreciates all the help they can get from citizens. Any poacher harms all of us. I would certainly, and have, report any laws and rules infractions.
Maurry
hunter

Postby jehler » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:37 am

Maurry wrote:
Bulldog87 wrote:Cod father glad it was you and good hall, didn't put it up to piss people off. I'm a new hunter and play by all the rules if people can't be successfull and so things the right way it pisses me off. Snitches get stiches? What the **** is this gangland of waterfowl? Like I said cod father good for you and my buddy was only trying to do the right thing, take care good luck if you get out on some late goose!

Good for you, Bulldog87! You and your buddy did the right thing. Every law enforcement officer appreciates all the help they can get from citizens. Any poacher harms all of us. I would certainly, and have, report any laws and rules infractions.

yeah, except they weren't poaching.

Ive had the co's called on me a few times every season, leads to nothing but headaches. I had to go down and explain myself to a co in december because guys called me in for rallying birds, we were gone before they got there. the co now had my plates and description and assumed I'm a poacher giving me a reputation with him that was based on false information. i don't know if its jealousy or just lack of intelligence that drives people to not mind their own business and call co's to report things they don't understand but it irritates the hell out of me
jehler

Postby Bulldog87 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:24 pm

It's not jealousy, I do just fine when I get out hunting. It's called conserving the land! That sucks you were wrongfully accused of something I get that crap like that pisses you off but to say to keep your mouth shut? That's ignorance, hey looking the other way just let's people who are actually breaking laws get away with it and leaves less animals for legit people to take I'll admit he was wrong this time but there has been plenty of times were I have seen with my own two eyes people doing crap they ain't supposed to like keeping out of season game undersized fish stealing lobsters out of traps I pay a lot of dam money to hunt and dish and lobster and to see people taking small or out of date crap pisses me off! It's cause of to many people "minding there own business" that our cos grounds are close and herring is no longer useable as "legal" bait and now a new one I just read mass is no longer allowed to use American eel as legal bait! Sorry for trying to preserve my state land and keep honest people out there by the way you even from mass? I don't know how they do it out in your parts but in your own words do the right thing and mind your business, you do y like what I got to say then jump on someone else's feed
Bulldog87
hunter

Postby Codfather » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:17 pm

no crows for me just when they go over goose decoys lol
Codfather
hunter

Postby Mbown75 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:26 pm

Bulldog87 wrote:It's not jealousy, I do just fine when I get out hunting. It's called conserving the land! That sucks you were wrongfully accused of something I get that crap like that pisses you off but to say to keep your mouth shut? That's ignorance, hey looking the other way just let's people who are actually breaking laws get away with it and leaves less animals for legit people to take I'll admit he was wrong this time but there has been plenty of times were I have seen with my own two eyes people doing crap they ain't supposed to like keeping out of season game undersized fish stealing lobsters out of traps I pay a lot of dam money to hunt and dish and lobster and to see people taking small or out of date crap pisses me off! It's cause of to many people "minding there own business" that our cos grounds are close and herring is no longer useable as "legal" bait and now a new one I just read mass is no longer allowed to use American eel as legal bait! Sorry for trying to preserve my state land and keep honest people out there by the way you even from mass? I don't know how they do it out in your parts but in your own words do the right thing and mind your business, you do y like what I got to say then jump on someone else's feed

"I'd like to buy a period"

Or a comma....
Mbown75
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:08 pm

I'm glad I grew up with school house rock. :lol: :lol3:
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby wsumner » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:21 pm

The thing that I don't get is how someone mistakes eiders and old squaws for buffleheads. If you can't identify birds it is more likely that you are part of the problem not the great conservationist that you think you are. Also the taking of herring for bait is not the reason for the shortage. It is all the trawlers that are netting them and menhadden for fish meal and cat food.
wsumner
hunter

Postby Kraut » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:35 am

Murray,

before you start getting all antsy in your pantsy about calling the fuzz, may i refer back to your post where you and your hunting partner blasted an owl, which is federally protected?

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=330634&p=3214994#p3214994

well put your hands on me.
Kraut
hunter

Postby Mbown75 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:15 am

Kraut wrote:Murray,

before you start getting all antsy in your pantsy about calling the fuzz, may i refer back to your post where you and your hunting partner blasted an owl, which is federally protected?

May I refer back to the post where you compeletly went out on a limb and accused someone of poaching but didn't comprehend the OP well enough or understand the difference between "put up" and "killed"? :help:
Mbown75
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:41 pm

Not quite sure what your true intent is here ? But I see you are posting from a business in Hingham Square. Do not come here and start any BS with the contributing members. Thank You.
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby BigWaterGunner » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:03 pm

Nice hunt codfather !
Is this whole thread BS ? I find it hard to beleive a duck hunter doesn't know an Eider from a buffie.
BigWaterGunner
Newb

Postby Professor_Leakey » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:42 pm

BigWaterGunner wrote:Nice hunt codfather !
Is this whole thread BS ? I find it hard to beleive a duck hunter doesn't know an Eider from a buffie.

x2 on the photos/hunts codfather...congrats. you have had a fantastic season. :beer:

this thread is pure gold.
DuckPharm wrote:I'm talking about the pie billed goldeneye.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Maurry » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:18 pm

Mr. Kraut,

You misread my previous post. We did not shoot an owl. All we did was put it up, i.e., flushed it. Now that I have explained to you that we never "...blasted and owl" I feel free to get antsy in my pantsy about calling a fuzz as you put it so eloquently.

as ever,
Maurry
Maurry
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:33 pm

Maurry, be the better man and ignore that post. Calling out lawful people for 'poaching' is lame. With respect to the OP, we live we learn and hopefully do not repeat. I dont even think I need to tell you that.

When is the next Duck ID course offered?
DuckPharm wrote:I'm talking about the pie billed goldeneye.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Codfather » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:04 pm

thanks professor it has been a crazy year a lot of scouting paid off!!
Codfather
hunter

Postby Kraut » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:23 am

Reporting live from Hingham Square:

Gentlemen, like i said theres no resason to get all antsy in your pantsy, i must have misinterpreted the phrase put up, but i think you meant to say you flushed some birds out, and normally when I flush birds, i put up some pretty big numbers. see what i did there?

Anyways my point is that there is no need to call the fuzz in a situation like this, it just brings unnecessary light on what possibly could be nothing wrong to begin with. We are the minority to begin with, no reason to cause a stir because you saw something that could have been outside of the rulebook. In fact, pretty much every time I hunt in Maine I am constantly told "There is not can't here, there's only not supposed to". Also, FYI most EPO's in MA won't even get out of their truck if its raining, let alone try to track down anonymous tip.

Saw a lot of amateurs out this season, taking 100 yd moon shots at birds still checking out the spreads, hopefully they have learned some lessons as we saw a lot going home empty handed. I am from the boston area but usually hunt up out in the wild west, and my wife's box is a polar vortex. Not sure if people thought the Globe infiltrated this forum NSA style, but this is not the case.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3_94bxAHl0
Kraut
hunter

Next

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting