last weekend for geese not looking good

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, Tim D, MIKE J., JoeP, HeritageHunter

last weekend for geese not looking good

Postby wingshooter26 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:13 pm

Last Thursday I saw the most ducks and geese I have ever seen had flocks of 20 coming into my small spread of shells and homemade silos. Some even landing, a first for me this season. This week is a different story I am currently out of work so I hunted allday Monday and today, not one bird in sight. I went to the roost which is a section of the taunton river a few miles from the cut corn I hunt and no geese to be seen or heard. Is this the end? Where did they go and why? The snow isn't really that deep they can still feed I think. Lets hear what you guys have to say.
wingshooter26
hunter

Re: last weekend for geese not looking good

Postby Baymen Moe » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:02 pm

The snow is probably a factor being how frozen it is. Probably why I'm seeing tons of geese in the salt this week. Bays and marsh edges.
By the way... :welcome:
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby wingshooter26 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:10 pm

Baymen Moe wrote:The snow is probably a factor being how frozen it is. Probably why I'm seeing tons of geese in the salt this week. Bays and marsh edges.
By the way... :welcome:
Thanks! And you are right the snow is very stiff. Maybe ill head torwards duxbury or plymouth and see what's happening there tomorrow.
wingshooter26
hunter

Postby HeadShot1187 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:03 pm

wingshooter26 wrote:Last Thursday I saw the most ducks and geese I have ever seen had flocks of 20 coming into my small spread of shells and homemade silos. Some even landing, a first for me this season. This week is a different story I am currently out of work so I hunted allday Monday and today, not one bird in sight. I went to the roost which is a section of the taunton river a few miles from the cut corn I hunt and no geese to be seen or heard. Is this the end? Where did they go and why? The snow isn't really that deep they can still feed I think. Lets hear what you guys have to say.

I had been watching a roost of nearly 1200 birds for three straight days. I was checking the roost in the morning, before noon, afternoon and then at dusk. The birds never left, probably since all of the agricultural fields were under 20" of snow. I have hunted in pretty deep snow before with success, but these birds never left. They would move around the open water quite a bit, but they never flew out. I even tried to shoot the roost, which most of us know is a big taboo, but the birds never strayed far enough away from houses. After a few days, most of the birds cleared out, I presume heading south towards less snow. The last two weeks were pretty much a bust. I tallied 20 or 30 or so in late season, so it wasn't a total waste.
HeadShot1187
Newb

Postby spider316 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:18 pm

:welcome: Headshot if you know that its a big Taboo why would you do it :no: !
Most experienced novice Duckhunter the good Lord ever created !
spider316
hunter

Postby wingshooter26 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:54 pm

Was all wrong had a great last day hundred of birds around. And saw a bald eagle
wingshooter26
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting