Tree Stand Etiquette - What to do?

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, JoeP, Tim D, MIKE J., HeritageHunter

Tree Stand Etiquette - What to do?

Postby Sshorearcher » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:56 pm

Looking for feedback/opinions on what you all do in this type of situation. Thanks.

Here is the deal.....been hunting a very tiny piece of woods for 12 years. Legal (500ft+ from houses) hunting area is very limited, probably ~5 acres. There is one other guy (a friend) with a treestand in this piece of legal hunting area, about 100 yards from my stand and just out of sight (I can see it with binoculars from my stand with leaves off). We coordinate with one another when to hunt so we do not interfere. So, this bow season someone else comes in and sets up a stand within clear visibility from my friend's stand (~50 yards away) and clear view of my stand with leaves off, right in between us. I cannot imagine that he/she could have possibly, under any scenario, not seen both stands when he/she set up theirs. Plus, to add to the problem, the new stand is within 500ft of at least 3-4 houses (not sure if he/she obtained permission......).

Here is what I did. I typed up a very respectful letter and tacked it to the tree with bright eyes tacks in a zip lock, explaining how small the piece of woods is, how long we had been hunting there and how the stand is within clear view of our two stands, with the hopes that the person would realize their error and remove the stand. Others I know and hunt with would simply have (and urged me to) take down the stand and pegs and leave at the base of the tree (but I do not like touching other people's stuff, nor do I know that they put them on the tree safely). Others have urged me to involve the Environmental Police (due to the setback distance issue), but I do not know if he/she has permission or not, so I have yet to do that. The letter I placed is now gone. I assume he/she took and read it, but the stand remains. I am hoping that either a) some animal pulled it off out of curiosity and he/she didn't get it or b) he/she just hasn't gotten to taking it down yet.

What would you do/how would you handle the situation?
Sshorearcher
hunter

Re: Tree Stand Etiquette - What to do?

Postby Baymen Moe » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:04 pm

You did exactly what I did in a similar situation. Leaving a note was the way to go. In my situation I was on private property with permission to hunt ducks out of a very small water hole. I new another hunter had permission to bow hunt deer there as well. My first hunt at the water hole I was looking around and there was a stand not 30 yds from the pond. I left a note explaining I didn't want to screw up his deer hunting and for him to call me to discuss. He did call and I gladly moved on to another area on the property.

Leave others gear alone for sure. No need for a pissing match.

Hopefully you hear from this other hunter and he/she is as cordial as I was in my situation. It's best for us all. :thumbsup:
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:27 pm

You approached it in the right way. If you were to remove the stand and leave it at the base of the tree they most likely would just steal your stand in spite. I would let the EPO's know about the issue with being too close to the houses and let them worry about who has permission unless there is a chance that the new person might be the landowner and could jeopardize your hunting access there.

The last few years has seen a huge increase in the numbers of bow hunters in the woods. I have experienced similar situations and let the guy know in a friendly way he was the "newby" to the area. He turned out to be an okay guy and shared info etc. There are a few "GEM's" out there that think they will march right in and take over an area and try to squeeze you out including intimidation and cutting down your preferred tree's and stealing camera's. In that case I just bit the bullet and posted the location on a another forum and that it was crawling with deer. The next week I saw 6 new vehicles hunting the area. :grooving:

Etiquette unfortunately has gone by the wayside. 10 years ago if I saw a stand I would leave that area and set up elsewhere, nowadays the attitude is I am gonna hunt and you cannot stop me.
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby JeffW » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:35 pm

PM sent. Once I learned there was someone else hunting in there I did not hunt it anymore. Didnt want to pull the stand mid season and mess the woods up. Been meaning to stop by your house (i think its your house anyways) and say hello and introduce myself.
JeffW
hunter

Postby Sshorearcher » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:25 am

Got it....thx, and thanks for the explanation. Feel free to stop in anytime if you see my truck home. :thumbsup:
Sshorearcher
hunter

Postby Jofa » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:16 pm

is the land public or private property?

Sounds public from your original post - because if it was private, this could all be resolved by discussing it w the landowner.

If it is public, there's really not much you can do other than make room for him - because unfortunately, he has just as much right to hunt there as you do. As for being so close to your stand, MAYBE you can talk him into moving into one of the corners of the lot, but frankly he doesnt have to. Stinks that someone found your spot, but on public land, they have a right to be there too.

If you just HAVE to get him out of there, you should be friendly but secretly use some reverse ol school hunting psychology on him - maybe by making up a story like "you, your kids, and your nephews are hunting in there too and they are just learning the ropes, so feel free to offer them any advice as the season goes along", after you lock a big two man stand to a tree about 10 yards from his tree and make it look like everyone and their brother is hunting in there, I bet you wont see him coming back :wink:
Jofa
hunter

Postby Sshorearcher » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:20 pm

Jofa, it is public, but tiny. I'm not sure you could set up two stands in the legal hunting area that were not in view of each other. I have no problems sharing spots, esp public land, and I know that someone can technically set up a treestand in the same tree if they want to (above or below mine :wink: ), but ethics comes into play. Some people have them, some do not. This guy definitely does and legitimately did not notice the other stands in sight. I appreciate his honesty, response and ethics. I know he could say go scr**w and stay right there, but he is not. I'd like to think that most hunters act this way, but I know from experience that some do not. I have seen him around, but never formally met him. Hope to soon and will be glad to share some o my local spots where there is plenty of room for more.

Still curious to learn from how others have handles these types of situations/experiences as this is my first real go around with it...
Sshorearcher
hunter

Postby GED » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:58 pm

Jofa is correct. Public land belongs to the public. I see people set multiple stands with the sole intent of keeping other hunters out of "their" woods. If I'm on public land it is first come first served. You beat me there and I find another place to hunt for the day.
GED
Newb

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting